Baby food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hxs215

So i made a post a while ago in the health forum that my new beardie wasn't eating (sorry to the person who was answering me, I got busy and wasn't able to reply but thanks for the help!). Well now Ralph is finally eating! He'll eat a few crickets (about 10-15) but he mostly likes this baby food that I bought him - it's just squash and water. He'll eat it right off my fingers, and I'll come back and see signs that he's poked at it in his bowl quite a bit. I'm super happy he's finally eating!

My problem is that he's only eaten squash now for a week - he won't touch the veggies unless I sneak some into the baby food, and my crickets haven't been delivered for some reason. I'm going to the store to get some in the mean time. But since I've had such success with the baby food, does anyone know if beardies can eat chicken and other kinds of baby food with protein? Since he needs to get his nutrients...(I plan on mixing in some calcium supplement tonight, I'm concerned more about protein and other nutrients).

Thanks in advanced!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He is still young so I would try offering some different bugs and see what catches his interest. Try ordering some black soldier fly larvae and see how those go over. They are small and soft - good for a young dragon.

As far as the baby food goes, I usually reserve that for sick dragons. The squash isn't harmful to him though and it's OK to offer if he's eating it on his own. I've also had success with green beans and sweet potato baby food. I'd try to get him focused on chasing live bugs and (to a lesser extent for now) eating chopped up veges/greens.

hxs215

Original Poster
CooperDragon":14zpaxjg said:
He is still young so I would try offering some different bugs and see what catches his interest. Try ordering some black soldier fly larvae and see how those go over. They are small and soft - good for a young dragon.

As far as the baby food goes, I usually reserve that for sick dragons. The squash isn't harmful to him though and it's OK to offer if he's eating it on his own. I've also had success with green beans and sweet potato baby food. I'd try to get him focused on chasing live bugs and (to a lesser extent for now) eating chopped up veges/greens.

the greens is the challenging part - he won't take them no matter where i put them, if i hand feed them, if i move them around to make them look live, etc.

i ordered some BSFL so hopefully he'll like those.

do you know if they can eat chicken? like baby food chicken

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They can eat baby food chicken or turkey but I would avoid it in this case. I tend to avoid it even when nursing dragons back to health anyway though. It's OK about the veges for now. Young ones tend to prefer their protein. I'd try the BSFL and see how that goes and move forward from there.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If you're looking for an emergency protein when you're out of bugs for some reason, scrambled egg , [ microwaved with no oil for 1 minute ] will do. Just a few pieces, not the entire egg since they are a bit fatty. Most dragons like them and they are nutritious and of course cheap + easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom