Juvie Beardie off his food **First time beardie Owner**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

I got my first ever beardie, Frye, back in April of this year when he was approx 2 months old and 5" from nose to tail and easily eating 50 to 80 crickets a day plus little bits of his salad. Today he is now almost 8 months old and 20" from nose to tail, he weighs in at 465.8 grams (weighed him last night).

Frye lives in a 40 gallon glass tank with a ZM Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 which I replaced the tube bulb 2 weeks ago. His basking temps stay around 97- 108F and his cool side is 80-90F, Frye has a new 60w heat emitter on at night (the cooler weather outside greatly effects the temps in my apartment) and also has carpet as his bedding.

Roughly 3 weeks ago, Frye has slowed his eating down A LOT. His staple feeders were crickets but he stopped showing interest in them, I had switched him to super worms and that helped (he was chewing down about 15 a day), but now he has also lost interest in them too. He does have fresh salad available everyday (collards and dandelion greens), which he still nibbles a little on, but not interested in crickets or supers. I plan on trying him with some hornworms, silkworms and phoenix worms this week... He is still very alert and active, he is basking everyday, poops about once a week to once every 10 days.

I'm worried and conflicted because he's not eating insects and very little salad but he does seem happy, alert and active. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

full

full

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
This is the time of year where beardies start slowing down as it gets cooler. As long as he is pooping not losing much weight and generally Heathly you should have nothing to worry about. Super worms aren’t the best staple crickets and dubia roaches are much better. He is a beautiful beardie by the way!

MiniSskunkZz

Original Poster
Thank you! I do agree crix were better than supers, but its what he would eat. I can't get dubias because I'm in Canada... but i'm going to try him with silkworms and phoenix worms. You're reply definitely helps put my mind at ease. Cheers!!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MiniSskunkZz":32tukdos said:
Thank you! I do agree crix were better than supers, but its what he would eat. I can't get dubias because I'm in Canada... but i'm going to try him with silkworms and phoenix worms. You're reply definitely helps put my mind at ease. Cheers!!!

Silkworms are rarely refused by lizards (only my Fluffy the water skink turns her nose up at them - but she will eat their moths).

WRT BSFL , a trick is to snip off the heads (pointy end) and squeeze some of the insides out , I've found that unless you are handfeeding , my dragons wont touch the BSFL unless decapitated.
If your dragon is used to them , fed them regularly (whole) from a young age , it's a different matter as they are then used to their strange outside taste.

I suggest working through this in case there something else at the back of this loss of appetite : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236150&p=1815390#p1815390

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom