Beardie stopped eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I bought my beardie from an expo on July 21 this year. I was told it was a baby but dont know exact age when we bought her. She was about 4 to 5 inches long. She is now 18 inches long and weighs 273 grams.

She has always been a good eater of live food and veggies.

She suddenly greatly reduced her eating and i dont know if i should be worried.

She went from eating about 15 medium dubias 3 times a day to only eating maybe 5 a day now. She will eat 4 or 5 1 inch pieces of collard greens. I also used to sprinkle calcium on her roaches and she was fine. Now she wont eat a roach or veggie if its powdered. I also tried vitamin powder and she wont touch it. I tried changing her veggies. She ate a couple small pieces of banana but she spit the piece of chard out.

We built her a new tank and she moved into it 3 days ago. She seems to like it and shows no sign of stress physically (no puffing or stress marks). I include this info but she changed her eating 3 days before we moved her so i dont think the move is the issue.

Her previous tank had basking at 100 to 103 and cool side at 85. It was a 20 gal long tank.

Her current tank is 4ft x 2 x 2. Top basking spot is 103, middle basking shelf at 95. Cool side is 83.

Her lights are currently on 12 hours.

Her poops look normal but are less frequent since she doesnt eat as much.

Her behavior seems normal but she has been sleeping a little more, maybe an hour or sometimes 2 hours more than before.

Our cities weather has changed. We went from 100 degree temps to 80 to 85 but her tank was adjusted to maintain her normal temps.

I am not sure of her age. Based on her size when we got her (4 to 5 in) i would guess she may have been 2 months instead of a baby. That would put her at 5 months maybe. Even though her growth was fast. She grew 14 inches in the 3 months we have had her.

I hope i have given enough info. Any idea why she may have slowed eating? I read brumation isnt until they are a year old.
100736-8245758968.jpg
100736-3692677301.jpg
100736-9410120830.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She looks nice and healthy and her growth is very good. At 18'' she is probably close to full length but will gain more weight over the next several months. It seems to be pretty common for their appetites to fluctuate and if she is in between growth spurts she may not need as much food for now. If everything else seems OK I wouldn't worry about it too much. Make food available for her as you normally would but if she isn't interested that's OK.

Summerrayne23

Original Poster
Thank you Cooperdragon. She is my first dragon and all seemed to be going perfect so when it changed auddenly i got worried. Is there anything i need to watch for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom