Superworms/morio worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorne96

Hello! So my beardie is approaching 1 year the end of this month. I haven't tried her on superworms due to horror stories I have heard of them biting the beardie and causing impaction and internal injuries. So I feel now she is around 16inches give or take (she has lost a small part of her tail, I got her from a bad breeder who didnt tell me about this until I got her but at that point I just wanted to help fix her tail and spoil the poor baby, i treated it and it fell off completely healed, luckily no problems since!) So I believe she is missing maybe an inch to an inch and a half of her full length. Do you think it is safe to feed her these now? She is in good shape, her appetite has been a little off I think because of semi-brumation as she is on and off sleeping then being active, she does bask after eating. Is there anything I should do to make it easier for her to digest? I saw some people crush the heads but I am unsure whether this is necessary at her length and weight (340g). Thanks in advance! :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Crushing superworms' heads ( I also give crickets the same treatment).

> I do this

benefits are :
> they can't bite back
> it slows them down
> it lets some worm juices AND guts out …. makes the worm more appetizing.

I never give more than 2 or 3 supers per helping to my beardies or bluetongues. Only treats maybe once a week.

Lorne96

Original Poster
Great to know thank you! Yes I was only thinking as treats, just to switch it up from waxworms, I can get silkworms in the UK but they are ridiculously expensive, I cant get horn worms as they dont allow them in the UK. I have calciworms but only feed them every now and again because sometimes she doesn't digest them well despite basking afterwards. I have never seen butter worms in the UK either so these are my only options! She prefers worms over most things so it's just to see If it can get her appetite back up (see previous post about brumation) but thanks a lot!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Lorne96":n1zbgbsf said:
Great to know thank you! Yes I was only thinking as treats, just to switch it up from waxworms, I can get silkworms in the UK but they are ridiculously expensive, I cant get horn worms as they dont allow them in the UK. I have calciworms but only feed them every now and again because sometimes she doesn't digest them well despite basking afterwards. I have never seen butter worms in the UK either so these are my only options! She prefers worms over most things so it's just to see If it can get her appetite back up (see previous post about brumation) but thanks a lot!

Buy the silkworms as eggs (200 is a good start + 200 chow (as powder , make up 32g chow in 90g boiling water then nuke for 90s on hi , wrap in clipwrap and chill, slice off slices or thin slivers as needed) and let 30 or so worms go to cocoons and then moths , a female moth will lay up 400 eggs so you never need to buy silkworms again, just chow or fresh mulberry leaves (better).

I have silkworms on the go year round and have done so for over 7 years now.

My big 800g / 25" girl Peppa gets 2 large silkworms per day , as do each my big bluetongues as part of their daily daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom