Water bowl : should his water be warm or cold? And misting??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
So I have had Jasper 3 days , I’ve not seen him drink but I have lightly sprayed his veges daily
I haven’t bathed him yet and the petshop that had him before me for 8months said he hates them the worst they have seen a dragon hate a bath - and he doesn’t trust us yet - and vice versa yet - if I do that I think it’ll set us back.
Should the water in his bowl be cold like I have it ? I’m now thinking maybe no... since they are from deserts by nature - should it be luke warm?
And the same question for light spraying on his veges?

Should I mist him ? I’m worried he will hate it since he hates baths so bad but if it’s needed of course I will
I’m a first time beardie Mama so bare with me if I am asking silly questions

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
A water dish is not necessary. Most dragons will not drink from still water. They get their hydration from the bugs they eat.
Actually a water dish can be harmful from a humidity point of view if left in the inclosure, because it can harbor harmful bacteria and, promote fungus in your viv!!!
Also some dragons hate water some don't so, bathing should only happen once or twice a week to cut down on the stress levels.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok thank you :) I’ll remove the water dish
Should I continue misting the veges in cold water or should that be warm water too?

So still bath once a week even if he hates it? It is a nessessity? I wasn’t sure if I continue the way the pet shop did ( apparently he was so against it they had to take him out back to bath for safety and not to scare cutomers) or if the stress outweighed the benefit

Thanks so much for the help :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":rbmckgct said:
A water dish is not necessary. Most dragons will not drink from still water. They get their hydration from the bugs they eat.
Actually a water dish can be harmful from a humidity point of view if left in the inclosure, because it can harbor harmful bacteria and, promote fungus in your viv!!!
Also some dragons hate water some don't so, bathing should only happen once or twice a week to cut down on the stress levels.
i'd only bath as needed …. unless your dragon enjoys the bathing process , in which case go ahead and endulge him. Water temperature about 32 degC.

My dragons only used their water dish to sit in and cool off or as their dunny …. they soon discovered a submerged poo is lot less stinky. so I brought a stop to that.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Jaspersmama":361y095f said:
Ok thank you :) I’ll remove the water dish
Should I continue misting the veges in cold water or should that be warm water too?

So still bath once a week even if he hates it? It is a nessessity? I wasn’t sure if I continue the way the pet shop did ( apparently he was so against it they had to take him out back to bath for safety and not to scare cutomers) or if the stress outweighed the benefit <<< IN THIS CASE …. bath him only rarely when absolutely necessary ie if he's soiled , impacted , or needs help with shedding ….

Thanks so much for the help :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can offer water dripped or sprayed on his snout at least 2 times a week in case he would like a drink. In nature they would have access to morning dew if the wanted to lick it up, so this mimics the dew. I bred and raised loads of babies and this is very important for hatchlings but as they get older they drink less but should still have the opportunity. Some dragons won't respond for the first 30-60 seconds but you can drip [ or spray ] , stop , repeat until they drink if they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom