Insects etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi my beardie Donny is about 4.5 months old. He currently gets 20 x Calci worms and 10 x mealworms in the morning and around 10-15 of each in the evening. Mealworms are dusted with calcium and D3 powder every morning. He is getting dubia roaches 3x a week as they’re not cheap and we’re going to start breeding them soon.

He tends to get more lively insects when we can watch him eat in the evening.

Was wondering what other insects I could include to give him a varied diet? He gets crickets 2-3 times a week too in place of other insects but they’re a pain as they hide under everything and that’s it, moment gone.

I’m aware lots of types of worms are high in fat so want to be wary of that too.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd reserve the mealworms for treats / bribes.
Their exoskeleton is very hard to digest and given in the numbers above are a very severe impaction risk.
They are also quite high in fat and have a very poor Ca/P.
ref viewtopic.php?f=76&t=234999&p=1807834#p1807834

Very good worms to offer as a staple for your juvenile dragon are silkworms …. there is nothing bad about offering these daily to a dragon as part of the diet and most dragons literally go nuts for them.
A medium sized silkworm will be about 2in long and is a lot of protein cf a medium sized cricket

A 30mm long silkworm is 0.5g = 2-3 medium crickets (12x MED = 3g)
A 40mm long silkworm is 1.3g = 5-6 medium crickets
a 2 inch long silkworm is 1.8g
a large silkworm about 3in is 2.3g = 8 - 10 medium crickets

lgracethompson94

Original Poster
Ok thank you for the advice. He seems ok with them so far but will cut them down to 1 feed every other day.

Will also have a look online for some silk worms too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom