Beardie no longer eating greens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there!
So I've had Daenerys since she was nine weeks old, and she s been fed greens since day one, the breeder always gave the clutch greens once a day. Dany is now 12 months old and has suddenly decided to refuse her salad, which is annoying as she's reaching the age where they're meant to become a bigger part of her diet.

I've tried everything, from placing worms in the bowl to changing the salad up and making it as colourful as possible. I just offered her a mix of grated carrot, yellow bell pepper and leafy greens which even I thought looked delicious but she turned her nose up at it. My guess is she's obviously not interested and would rather wait until dinner when she gets her bugs, as she has absolutely no trouble munching those down. She may have been spoiled a little much lately on wax worms and mealworms as her first birthday just passed, so it may be that she's come to the conclusion that she can ignore the boring healthy salad and wait to be given something far more exciting.

Any idea how I can encourage her to go back to eating salad? This is a recent development, she's spent 12 months of her life eating greens without a problem.

Thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like she's just being stubborn. Try feeding her just a salad for a few days and see if she starts to dig in. At a year old fewer bug meals shouldn't be a big problem. Once she starts digging back into salads try a bug meal every other day but for now try just waiting until she's hungry enough for salad.

OhMyNord

I have this issue with Cato! He has never eaten greens, not once ? Little bugger. I might have to try the starvation route, how long is too long to leave them without food though?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Adults can go for quite a while without food if they need to. As long as they stay at a healthy weight and there is fresh food available to them (leaving it up to them to eat) this can probably be done for weeks. If they start losing a lot of weight and not digging into the veges even after a couple of weeks then go back to bugs until their weight goes back up. They aren't likely to begin starving themselves though so they usually do start in on the salads after a bit.

OhMyNord

I think I'll have to try this with Cato, I mean I want him to start eating bugs again before I starve him haha :) But he seems a lot happier today which is nice.

OP any luck with the greens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom