oh crickets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Ok so I bought Ranger 50 super worms some calcium worms (I had to hide them in the back of the fridge. My dad keeps trying to feed him handfuls of calcium worms. He says "Ranger loves them let him eat as many as he wants".. and I'm like :shock: No! one or two a day TOPS!) and a dozen crickets.... He has gone back to bugs since I'm still in the epic dandelion battle against the bunny farmers... darn bunny farmers.

But anywho so He REFUSES crickets!! I thought ok perhaps they are too fast so I maimed one. (I'm not sure who it hurt worse me or the cricket. I cried after I did it I won't lie. I felt horrible for hurting it) BUT HE STILL REFUSED IT. I ended up throwing it outside to the wild lizards (Anoles) and they were like a dog catching a treat in the air! It didn't even hit the ground.

Should I keep trying with the crickets or donate them to the wild lizards?

On the plus side his crazy excessive diarrhea has stopped since I started him back on the bugs. Back to normal :blob5: :laughing6: Nothing like a bug cleanse when the greens are not quite right lol

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
the calcium worms are fine to offer. He can eat a bunch if he likes them and is digesting them OK. It's the supers that should be a treat. I'd try again with the crickets for a few more days before giving up on them. Sometimes their preferences/moods change.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So yeah crickets are all dead. He didn't want any of them. They died waiting to be eaten. They took turns drowning themselves. And I'm out of supers... All that's left is their babies.. useless. And the calcium worms are all dead. :lol: :lol: :lol: turns out my fridge is colder than its suppose to be. And I'm out of salad. This guy needs to learn to eat when food is given.. because this is the week I've been dreading. The week where we are all completely broke till Friday. Ugh.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
beardedlady1":36gfnxh4 said:
Ok so I bought Ranger 50 super worms some calcium worms (I had to hide them in the back of the fridge. My dad keeps trying to feed him handfuls of calcium worms. He says "Ranger loves them let him eat as many as he wants".. and I'm like :shock: No! one or two a day TOPS!) and a dozen crickets.... He has gone back to bugs since I'm still in the epic dandelion battle against the bunny farmers... darn bunny farmers.

But anywho so He REFUSES crickets!! I thought ok perhaps they are too fast so I maimed one. (I'm not sure who it hurt worse me or the cricket. I cried after I did it I won't lie. I felt horrible for hurting it) BUT HE STILL REFUSED IT. I ended up throwing it outside to the wild lizards (Anoles) and they were like a dog catching a treat in the air! It didn't even hit the ground.

Should I keep trying with the crickets or donate them to the wild lizards?

On the plus side his crazy excessive diarrhea has stopped since I started him back on the bugs. Back to normal :blob5: :laughing6: Nothing like a bug cleanse when the greens are not quite right lol

BSFL / calciworms are a tropical species so refrigerating at normal temperatures found in the fridge (5-7 degC) them will kill them.
The other huge advantage of our Calci Worms is that they are actually a pre-pupation stage of larvae, which means they have no mouth parts and therefore don't feed. Eventually, they will pupate and ultimately emerge as adult black soldier flies, however, if they are kept in a moist substrate in the fridge at around 8-10C they will last for weeks if not months in this pre-pupation stage. When you are ready to feed just remove the quantity you need from refrigeration, allow them to warm up for a few minutes at which stage they will become active and start moving around again and you are ready to go.
http://www.livefoods.com.au/live-insects/calci-worms/Calci-Worm-Handy-Pack

I agree calciworms are a great staple feeder (can give these everyday).

I only ever use superworms as occasional treats (never more than 2 supers per sitting and if my gang get some supers once a weak , they are doing well.
I prefer to give silkworms to my BTs and beardies as the daily feeder + some crickets (gut loaded with high quality greens and carrot and repcal adult beardie pellets).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
beardedlady1":35sduoep said:
So yeah crickets are all dead. He didn't want any of them. They died waiting to be eaten. They took turns drowning themselves. And I'm out of supers... All that's left is their babies.. useless. And the calcium worms are all dead. :lol: :lol: :lol: turns out my fridge is colder than its suppose to be. And I'm out of salad. This guy needs to learn to eat when food is given.. because this is the week I've been dreading. The week where we are all completely broke till Friday. Ugh.

The problem is the even a very shallow lid with water in it not a good idea in the cricket keeper.
Best way to hydrate crickets is to give them a chunk of fresh carrot to chew ….this is an excellent source of moisture for all insects , adding fresh leafy greens is good.
When the chunk of carrot goes moldy / slimy it's time replace it.

NO STANDING WATER.
NO WATER GELS / CRYSTALS
Don't use apple or potato to hydrate the crickets - it ferments and you wind up with poisoned crickets.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":lhgyf5af said:
beardedlady1":lhgyf5af said:

The problem is the even a very shallow lid with water in it not a good idea in the cricket keeper.
Best way to hydrate crickets is to give them a chunk of fresh carrot to chew ….this is an excellent source of moisture for all insects , adding fresh leafy greens is good.
When the chunk of carrot goes moldy / slimy it's time replace it.

NO STANDING WATER.
NO WATER GELS / CRYSTALS
Don't use apple or potato to hydrate the crickets - it ferments and you wind up with poisoned crickets.

lol I dont have a cricket keeper. I had them in a kraft Parmesan cheese shaker with carrot inside. They all turned orange.. weird. the water dish is in Rangers tank. He sits in it from time to time. HE LOVES it. He's drank out of it a few times but for the most part he dips his feet and soaks hit tummy for a few hours then back under the basking bulb. The crickets took turns drowning themselves in it. He wouldnt go near his water bath so long as the crickets were near. After they drown I'd fish them out change the water and he would go back to sit in it.....till Id shake in 2 more crickets... then he RAN back to his rock.

I use potato to hydrate the worms. they eat it before it ferments. After a few days they turn to tiny dehydrated squares.

Peach

Hatchling Member
I have a small cooler for the phoenix worms/BSFL. I got a some of those reusable freezer packs and I stick a couple in the cooler with the containers of BSFL. I replace the thawed out freezer packs with frozen ones every morning. This keeps them at just about 55 degrees F and they last for weeks for me without dying or morphing into flies. One thing though - put the freezer packs in a bowl or a plastic container to keep the condensation from getting on your worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom