5 Year Old Spoiled Berdie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for ways to get my 5 year old spoiled berdie to eat more than just superworms. We recently adopted him from his previous owner who had him from a baby. I quickly learned he was just doing the bare minimum with him.
He told me he had no set feeding schedule and he randomly ate veggies.

I soon found out he likes to eat daily. Will not eat ANY veggies or fruit expect baby applesauce. He only wants superworms.

He is a little on the "fluffy" side for a beardie. He is active, but the only eating superworms has led him not pooping.

What are good ways to work on his diet and his pooping issue? I currently am soaking him daily in warm water(Which he now loves). Exam him all the time to see if any issues. I have massaged his tummy while his soaking and still not pooping.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At that age, it can take a very long time to adjust their habits. Be patient with him and give him time. How is his weight? You can try just offering salads for a while and rotate what you offer if his weight is healthy. The supers can be addictive but they aren't healthy as a staple bug. At his age he should be eating mostly veges but it may take some time to get him to that point. You could also try swapping supers for a healthier bug like roaches, silk worms, horn worms. Either way I would reduce his consumption to once or twice a week for bugs once he is into his veges.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Along with Cooper's advice, try some butternut squash to help him poo, along with the greens. Hold off on the supers for 5-6 days and then give him a good salad, you might throw 1-2 supers on top and he will get a mouthful of greens. Drip water on the greens in front of him, too. The movement may attract him and he may sense that the salad will hydrate him with the extra water and that will be a bonus, he'll poo eventually.

kwonsmommy

Original Poster
A quick update, so we are a week into the new diet changes. He refused ALL types of greens or veggies. He would take a little applesauce and a few superworms. I even tried prunes to get him to poop.
Finally by Thursday I got desperate as he was looking dehydrated and got the Flucker's Repti boost and mixing it with plain Pedialyte & syringe feeding him. I have been doing this twice a day. He actually really likes it. Today his second feeding I did organic canned pumpkin as he still hasnt had a bowl movement.
He is getting daily soaks, belly rubs, exercise and no poop? Is this normal?
Also, how long can he stay on the Repta Boost? He has gotten fond of it and the last 2 days has rejected any feeders.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He will eventually go, and he will also eat other foods if you quit the supers for a while. You say he's fluffy :) so he is not hurt at all by holding off on the supers in order to get him to eat better types of insects and veggies.

The Pedialyte + Reptaboost contain artificial color, sugar and salt, def. not needed twice a day. I know it seems like he needs attention but he will be fine. You can still give him that concoction once a day, but water it down quite a bit rather than giving it straight, he does not need all that added stuff [ esp. salt ] . No need to worry, he will go poo before you know it. :)

kwonsmommy

Original Poster
AHBD":nbmg0aoq said:
He will eventually go, and he will also eat other foods if you quit the supers for a while. You say he's fluffy :) so he is not hurt at all by holding off on the supers in order to get him to eat better types of insects and veggies.

The Pedialyte + Reptaboost contain artificial color, sugar and salt, def. not needed twice a day. I know it seems like he needs attention but he will be fine. You can still give him that concoction once a day, but water it down quite a bit rather than giving it straight, he does not need all that added stuff [ esp. salt ] . No need to worry, he will go poo before you know it. :)

Thanks, he finally pooped. I stopped giving him the repta Boost twice a day to only 1 time but only a little. He has only had 3 superworms in a week. I'm spacing them out as treats. He refuses still to eat any fresh greens or veggies.
I've been having to puree them and syringe feed him them. Its been a LONG process but we are getting there.

kwonsmommy

Original Poster
AHBD":2zxs9osz said:
A little progress and along with a poo, that's good news . :)

Quick question, so this weekend I tried to give him Crickets, dubia roaches or wax worms. Just to try something different other than the supers he refused them all.
We have only been doing supers twice a week now as treats.
I'm still having to give him pureed veggies&greens as he won't touch salads no matter if that's all you offer.
Is this ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom