How much should I thaw frozen veggies/greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie19

I recently purchased some baby kale for our 3 month old beardie. If I thaw it in my hands before feeding it to Ollie it becomes mush and resembles wet tissue paper. When I put the greens in his feeding bowl straight from the freezer and let them gradually thaw in his terrarium they thaw better. There is the concern that the temperature of the greens could be too cold for him. Is there such thing as veggies/greens being too cold for him to eat them? Does water need to be tepid to warm as well? :oops:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I have never used frozen greens/veggies before. I would limit the amount of frozen greens
& veggies though because they can lose their nutritional value.
Fresh is always the best, if possible. :D
As far as the greens being too cold, you don't want to give him food when they are frozen,
but more closer to room temperature, really. It would digest easier for him.
He may not like it as well if it's too cold, either.
Water can be cold, but probably better tolerated closer to room temperature.
I haven't done any scientific studies on this though, but just going by how our dragons prefer
their food & water.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I create bulk lots of grated and chopped (in a food processor) veg and greens , freeze these in big icecube maker molds ( 2" x 2" x 1.5" cubes) , and freeze til need the veg , I then thaw a cube per bluetongue skink and for my water skink and beardie, and allow to return to about room temperature before giving to the lizards.

What my pet lizards leave isn't wasted , it goes to gut load the crickets and I give some also to the local wild skinks and dragons who live in and visit my yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom