Am I over feeding my bearded dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I was doing ok on feeding my baby beardie, but the people at the local pet store keep telling me that I’m feeding him way too much. He’s about 2 months old. I’ve been feeding him however much he wants in 10-15 minutes or until he loses interest. He could eat anywhere from 25- 60+ Dubia roaches a day. It’s been more on the higher end lately. im buying 375 bugs each pet store visit. I’ve been told that he’s going to have a shortened lifespan because I’m feeding him too much and that he’s growing on the outside but his organs aren’t able to grow as fast. Is this true?? Should I be limiting him to less roaches? They said only 20 roaches a day so should I listen to them or not?

Midman03

Would love to hear the answer as well. I feed my 7 1/2 month old about 10-20 dubias and around 10-20 large BSFL in one sitting. He eats like a beast.

Edit: I should add that before I started giving him dubias, he could easily eat up to 100 BSFL in one sitting :shock:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Many people are proponents of the" feed all they can eat in 15 minutes 3X a day " but I do believe that it's excessive. It may be somewhat harmful in the long run to feed over 60 insects per day if the animal is constantly stuffed, but there's no real hard proof. Power feeding is not necessary though and at the least it is feeding unnecessarily large amounts . Sometimes with dragons in the 11 " and larger range the owners are feeding them bugs that are too small, they could actually move up a size, feed larger insects and fewer of them.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, those are fine to feed him 30 or so twice a day. He's just a little guy and those roaches are very small. Soon he'll be able to eat ones that are just a bit bigger.

One of the things that is easy to do when feeding them so many bugs is to give them too much supplement, especially once they are large juvies + up in to young adulthood. That can cause some problems so be sure to only dust the bugs very lightly for only one of the feedings.

Hjballinger

Original Poster
Ok thank you!! You’ve been a great help! The guy told me if I feed him too much than his outsides will grow too fast and his organs and stuff won’t be able to grow fast enough

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's not true, no logic in that. Cells grow + divide at the same rate for equal growth throughout the body. It's just if animals are fed way too much too fast with too much supplementation it can be somewhat harmful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom