New beardie owner...help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

paranoimiac

Got a 10 month old beardie about 3 wks ago. Previous owner gave me the rundown of what they have been doing re feeding, caring, housing, etc. They had only been feeding her superworms, 10/day, and some greens and fruit. We have since learned a lot of conflicting information about optimal foods especially where superworms are concerned. If we were to switch her protien to Phoenix worms or some other better type, can that be her only protien source or should we supplement with crickets too? We aren't thrilled to have to handle crickets so if we can avoid it, we will, lol. And still a little confused about whether or not we should be giving her any vitamin supplements as I don't believe the former owners did. So far she has been a lot of fun and a really interesting little creature. So happy to have her and to have found this site! In Hamilton, ON, Canada, so if anyone can offer specific places close to me besides Petsmart and Pet Valu, it would be truly be appreciated!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you're trying to improve things for him. Supers aren't good beyond an occasional treat as you have found. BSFL/Phoenix Worms are good but they are very small so he may go through a TON of them. If you can find silk worms or horn worms those are a good option. Try to offer as much variety as you can. Over the next 6 months or so you'll want to gradually move him over to a mostly vegetarian diet. As far as getting bugs goes, I'm not sure what's available locally. I know there are some reptile shops up in Toronto but your best bet might be ordering online from TheWormLady or Supercricket. What do you have in place for his lighting? What are the surface temps around his tank?

Xanelic

Hatchling Member
paranoimiac":1duqem5l said:
Got a 10 month old beardie about 3 wks ago. Previous owner gave me the rundown of what they have been doing re feeding, caring, housing, etc. They had only been feeding her superworms, 10/day, and some greens and fruit. We have since learned a lot of conflicting information about optimal foods especially where superworms are concerned. If we were to switch her protien to Phoenix worms or some other better type, can that be her only protien source or should we supplement with crickets too? We aren't thrilled to have to handle crickets so if we can avoid it, we will, lol. And still a little confused about whether or not we should be giving her any vitamin supplements as I don't believe the former owners did. So far she has been a lot of fun and a really interesting little creature. So happy to have her and to have found this site! In Hamilton, ON, Canada, so if anyone can offer specific places close to me besides Petsmart and Pet Valu, it would be truly be appreciated!

Okay, do not do the mistake I did and supplement Phoenix worms with calci. Multivitamin once a week. Petstores (local or non local) will always sell calcium and multivitamin supplements for reptiles so buy any kind and you should be fine.

Phoenix worms are VERY small for a ten month old though, maybe just right for a two month but not a ten month. I recommend finding hornworms, silkworms, or try crickets once in a while but crickets aren't high in nutrition. Since you're in Canada Dubia roaches are illegal but it is good to try to find some other roaches. You can also still give him superworms BUT only as a treat or once a week.

paranoimiac

Original Poster
How many silkworms would we be feeding her daily? Are there any special care regimens we need to follow for silkworms? Thanks for the replies! :D

paranoimiac

Original Poster
Also there are those canned worms available...do we have to feed live insects or will the canned ones offer the same benefits?

paranoimiac":ouo7azac said:
How many silkworms would we be feeding her daily? Are there any special care regimens we need to follow for silkworms? Thanks for the replies! :D

Xanelic

Hatchling Member
Silkworms just need their mulberry leaves and that's it. I would say twice a week and in my experience only 3 silk worms because they're quite large and have lots of nutrients but as much as your beardie will eat in a ten minute sitting.

Canned food should only be as treats OR if you run out of live food. Canned food doesn't have any nutrion, mostly just moister. I've used the canned silkworms before as treats but live food is ALWAYS better than dried/dead/pellets.

paranoimiac

Original Poster
New question...if I'm giving my beardie squash do I cook it or give it raw? My food list doesn't specify. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom