Adult bearded dragon's appetite - Normal or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an almost 17 month old male beardie. I picked him up from a breeder when he was 13 months old. He always ate his daily veggies and loved his insects. He was eating more veggie and less insects as he was getting older. He would eat about 20-30 insects per week and the rest are veggies like collard greens, mustard greens, etc.. Different mixes every 2 weeks. He gets a bath 2-3 times week, usually after he poops which happens every other day or so.

Recently, after he reached the 17 month mark, he had not eaten as much. He would look at the veggies, take a few bites (especially his fav pieces), then ignore the rest. When he refused his crickets, I took him to the vet and a fecal showed that he had worms. He had his last dose of dewormer last week (2 doses in total - one week apart per the vet instructions, and the vet was the one made the mix and gave it to him).

His appetite remain about the same. His poop does not stink as bad anymore so the dewormer helped.

I heard that when they reach a certain age, it is normal not to want to eat everyday. I am trying to figure out if he is going through this stage. I offered him veggies this week and he ate about half. He also ate about 10 roaches out of 20. The vet said he had gained 1 gram since a week ago when he received his first dewormer.

He is in a 40 gallon breeder. I had been using a new T8 Reptisun 10.0 (Bought new 1 month before his appetite went down) on top of a mesh lid. I did not know it was the wrong uvb light for use on top of a lid. I have to use a screen lid because of my cats. He was about 8-10 inches from the screen top. I immediately changed the uvb light to T5 HO Reptisun 10.0. He remains at 8-10 inches from the top (He loves his hammock and almost never comes down except to eat and poop). I changed the uvb light this week.

His basking temp is about 100 F. Low end is 80 F.

No loose substrate. He is on tile and papertowels.

Food is supplemented with Rep Cal Calcium +D3 three times a week. Multivitamin once a week.

There is a large water bowl in the other end of the tank which he uses to soak and poop.

He is not lethargic. He eats but his appetite has gone down. He picks at his food, eats his favorite pieces and ignore the rest.

Should I decrease the feedings, including the veggies, to every other day to get him to feel hungry?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Maybe some one should tell my big girl Peppa , and my two big bluetongue skinks that they shouldn't every day …. if I hold off or ever look like I've forgotten to give them a feed I get not too subtle reminders and the stink eye ….

Mind you , their meals each day not huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom