Better feeding schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunterishere7

I hate to admit it, but i am not feeding my two boys quite right. I did research before buying them, and the man who sold me my first from the petstore owned three so he didnt tell me any bs the petstores usually do. My parents think that greens every now and then and freeze dried crickets/grasshoppers are good enough. I finally have my own job and as soon as i get paid am going to spend the paycheck on food for them to start treating them how they need. I will also be getting better tanks in time as well, hopefully before summers end. Since i do not know how to accurately feed them, i will take any suggestions i can get! They have been getting calcium (although i fear not quite enough as well) but other than that their diet has been awful and i hate that my parents refuse to help me feed them better. Please tell me any advice you can, itll be much appreciated. My youngest is about a year and a half, and my other baby is between 2-3 years, if that helps at all.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Dried insects are NOT EVEN REMOTELY SUITABLE OR ADEQUATE. The insects MUST be live.

The Juvenile will still be growing and needs high quality insects every day. They don't reach full growth until they are 2 years old.

The adult's diet needs are different to a juvenile and it should comply with this - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=236074 .

I give my adult beardies some insects (crickets and silkworms) every day + greens.

Choice of insects see - viewtopic.php?f=76&t=234999&p=1807834#p1807834 , aim for highest protein, highest Ca/P , lowest fat.

choice of salad / veg see - http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html
, aim for highest protein and Ca/P .

How are they housed ? ….show us with photos.
...if together , they MUST be separated IMMEDIATELY (boys WILL FIGHT and one WILL end up dead).
… even two girls are best housed separately.

Lights > what exactly do you have , how old are they , how are they installed, how long are they on each day ?

Temperatures , @ basking spot ? @ warm warm zone ? @ cool zone ? how are measuring these ?

Size of tank /s ? ( LxWxD and construction )

What substrate are you using ?

Hunterishere7

Original Poster
They are house separate! Thankfully we were able to do that but my younger one is not in the tank he needs to be yet. I will have individual 4x2x2 tanks by the end of summer (i finalised the plan this morning) so i do have a plan to get them into better tanks ASAP. I believe they both have 150watt as that it the most they carry. The substrate i am using is repticarpet (never sand or woodchips, as cool as they look) and i wash it whenever they go to the bathroom. I also give them water 1-2 times a week (which i realise is most likely wrong as well).

My oldest’s warm side is about 95-100 (again, lighting will be much better v v soon im sorry) and the youngests is about 90. They both have a UVB light that will require being changed in ab 2 weeks (its been almost six months). All of their lights are with the repidomes, the deep ones being for UVB. They are all on a time as well. They click on automatically at 7 am and click off at 7 pm and it has been that way for a few months now and they seem okay with it, feel free to let me know if that is wrong as well.

I am not sure about cool side as we only have one thermometer (ugh) in each tank. But the basking spot is in the corner as to try and give them as much space to regulate as possible. Mickey (the older one) has a 40 breeder. They told me that is the bare minimum for an adult beardie. Nuggz (they younger) is the one who is not quite in the tank he needs to be so he will be getting his custom tank before Mickey is. He is in a 30x12x18.5 which again I KNOW IS WRONG PLEASE BEAR WITH ME. I hate that i have been so unable to properly care for them but i refuse to do that anymore. It is my money, and i am going to give them the best care possible. The past 3-4 days i have been giving them salad every day and went out with my grandma to get live crickets.

I dont know how to post photos but as soon as i figure that out i will let you know.

I know some of this is very wrong! Please do not attack me! Im trying my best, and as i am 17 i have alimited amount of time i can work to balance other responsibilities, meaning i can only get so much money. Getting them on the best diet as i work on their tanks is the best i can do and im deeply sorry, to the community and my boys. But please be patient with me, as i already feel horrible.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Hunterishere7":27v85jor said:
They are house separate! Thankfully we were able to do that but my younger one is not in the tank he needs to be yet. I will have individual 4x2x2 tanks by the end of summer (i finalised the plan this morning) so i do have a plan to get them into better tanks ASAP. I believe they both have 150watt as that it the most they carry. The substrate i am using is repticarpet (never sand or woodchips, as cool as they look) and i wash it whenever they go to the bathroom. I also give them water 1-2 times a week (which i realise is most likely wrong as well).

My oldest’s warm side is about 95-100
<< that's fine
(again, lighting will be much better v v soon im sorry) and the youngests is about 90
<< can do with being nudged up a wee bit
. They both have a UVB light that will require being changed in ab 2 weeks (its been almost six months). All of their lights are with the repidomes, the deep ones being for UVB.
<<< So compacts …. exactly what brand , wattage and %UVB ?
<<< ontop a mesh lid or under it ?
<<< how far from the basking spot ?
See this for a guidance : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

They are all on a time as well. They click on automatically at 7 am and click off at 7 pm and it has been that way for a few months now and they seem okay with it, feel free to let me know if that is wrong as well.
<<< 12 hour photoperiod is too short …. I'd be bumping it up by 3 to 4 hours per day .
see this for why viewtopic.php?f=1&t=236209&p=1815777#p1815777

I am not sure about cool side as we only have one thermometer (ugh) in each tank.
Visit Ebay : these are very good - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-LCD-Digital-Thermometer-for-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-FISH-TANK-Temperature-OZ/282809813873?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140107090050%26meid%3De9b55efff3b94b33a75f1b98006b7b8f%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D391259141696%26itm%3D282809813873&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850 , I've 3 in each tank and have checked these and found they are quite accurate and reliable (+/- 1 degC and the button batteries are good for a couple of years - can see my surface and air/zone temperatures at a glance.

But the basking spot is in the corner as to try and give them as much space to regulate as possible. Mickey (the older one) has a 40 breeder. They told me that is the bare minimum for an adult beardie. Nuggz (they younger) is the one who is not quite in the tank he needs to be so he will be getting his custom tank before Mickey is. He is in a 30x12x18.5 which again I KNOW IS WRONG PLEASE BEAR WITH ME. I hate that i have been so unable to properly care for them but i refuse to do that anymore. It is my money, and i am going to give them the best care possible. The past 3-4 days i have been giving them salad every day and went out with my grandma to get live crickets.

I dont know how to post photos but as soon as i figure that out i will let you know.

I simply upload using POSTIMAG.org , and grab a copy of the URL of the image that's now online and insert this between
tags in the post.

I know some of this is very wrong! Please do not attack me! Im trying my best, and as i am 17 i have alimited amount of time i can work to balance other responsibilities, meaning i can only get so much money. Getting them on the best diet as i work on their tanks is the best i can do and im deeply sorry, to the community and my boys. But please be patient with me, as i already feel horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom