New 3 month old not enthusiastic about bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my new beardie 2 days ago and he/she (a baby so sex is undetermined) isn't enthusiastic about eating bugs. Does this go away after time or is this something I should remedy. I feed as many crickets as he/she will eat (currently eight atm)I'm not sure if I'm supposed to. Also how many crickets is a baby supposed to eat? He/she is 5 inches

pechadm88

Beardies are picky little things sometimes!

So you should be feeling your new beardie 3-5 times a day and as much as they can eat in a 15 minute interval. Make sure the crickets are no larger than the space between their eyes as it is hard for them to digest anything larger than that and can get impacted...which can lead to lots of issues.

When they are that small they most likely fill up pretty quick, hence why feeding them 3-5 times a day is good! I’m sure he will get used to it, but you could always try a different bug. Just not mealworms at that age. Some say never, but that is up to you!

lonesoul1428

Original Poster
What if he doesn't go after them quickly(doesn't chase them or get excited abut them) or gets lazy with catching them? It also doesn't wanna bask

pechadm88

Some beardies are just plain lazy. Mine will not make an effort to chase any crickets and instead waits until they walk right in front of his face. Might just have one that likes to be waited on lol

Is your basking area too hot? Hard to believe but this can happen and can actually burn them. Should be between 95-110. Younger ones like it towards the hotter end. Use a digital probe thermometer that can touch the basking area and give you an accurate reading. And then what brand, type, wattage etc bulbs and stuff are you using?

lonesoul1428

Original Poster
It actually wasn't hot enough, barely 90 for hot end and idk for cool end. I am using now a 125 heat bulb (if it roasts him I'll return it but temp fix for now) and 10.0 uvb small bulb reptisun with the dual dome. He doesn't bask especially after eating and glass surfs scratching at the cage to get out like he's saying "get me out of here I wanna go back" and that's exactly his behavior (the cricket part)

pechadm88

The Reptisun you are using is really insufficient for him. One of the best ones you can get is the Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 HO tube light. Make sure it’s at least 6-10 inches from the highest place he can be that is directly under it as he can receive burns from UVB as well. Tube lighting is the only way to go as the others can damage their eyes and cause blindness and don’t give off enough UVB. The one I mentioned is able to sit on top of the screen as it is High Output and your dragon will still receive enough of the rays even through the screen. Make sure the hood you buy for the light is High Output also. Both Amazon and Petco sell these! Don’t try to get an offbrand of these as they are cheaper quality and don’t work well. You may pay a little more but your dragon will prosper and grow sufficiently.

He doesn’t have to bask right after eating but should on and off. Doesn’t have to be long. As long as he has the proper temperatures throughout the cage and the proper lighting he will digest his food properly.

lonesoul1428

Original Poster
Ok, I'll get that. As far as him basking, he'll chill under the light but won't pancake and bask, just chilling under there. He doesn't bask at all.

pechadm88

I’m sure he will pancake more as he gets older. Mine didn’t do it for the longest time but now that he is getting larger, he does it all the time. Just keep monitoring him as he grows!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom