I need greens badly, want to grow indoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nettiebelle

Beardie name(s)
nettiebelle
Is there anyone here that has experience with growing greens indoors at all times of the year? I just recently moved to an EXTREMELY small town. All they have at the local grocery is romaine. My girl hates everything (fruits or other veg) except a nice dark, green leaf. She doesn't like anything light colored or strange colored. As soon as I put her vibrant greens with her dragon crack calcium she comes running.

Please is there someone really experienced with growing greens indoors? I'd like to know what I need to get ASAP to get this started. It's currently summer here, but winter in this house is going to be very cold at some points due to the heating system being.. .awful. Which greens would you recommend? How often do you plant? Do you use indoor lighting or just window sills? I've got to start getting her some proper greens growing super fast because romaine is not going to be healthy. :banghead:

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
*Following* I'd like to know what others do as well. :mrgreen:

I'm looking to grow some chicory, dandelion, escarole and some others I've forgotten what they are now. I'd imagine dandelion would be an easy one to grow anywhere and a great staple!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Most veggies, greens included, like full sun so your biggest challenge growing indoors will be getting enough light. I’d look into some T5 or high power LED growlights. I’ve grown greens indoors alright till they get a few true leaves, not not to maturity. Seedling mats can help keep the soil warm for germination and growth.

You can also look at including other high calcium items like squash when greens are hard to find.

Nettiebelle

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
nettiebelle
Do you cook the squash? I've never tried giving her that before. That's a pretty awesome idea!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Nope, squash can be fed raw. Some offer it grated or use a veggie peeler to make slices that are easy to chomp. Winter Squash has a long shelf life if kept properly.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Can your beardie talk to my beardies? They won't eat any veggies/greens :( You could also think about growing dandelions. I don't know if you can put a window box outside your window?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom