Which is a better diet for a 3yr old Beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara06

Hello!

I'm dabbling a little bit with different insects in my Beardie's diet. Currently she's eat about 20 insects twice a week and greens everyday. Is it possible to change her diet to 5 superworms per day plus greens or is that too much?

Thank you! Your help is much appreciated!

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
sara06":pc6a8a34 said:
Hello!

I'm dabbling a little bit with different insects in my Beardie's diet. Currently she's eat about 20 insects twice a week and greens everyday. Is it possible to change her diet to 5 superworms per day plus greens or is that too much?

hello!

First off, wanted to say I think it’s good you are dabbling around with different feeders for your dragon. Variety is the spice of .... beardie life!

So your girl is 3 years old? Congrats!

I think you can definitely change over from crickets to supers - thru my experiences, I have always had icky and weird times with crickets - and they are quite the dirty feeders - with the possibility of carrying parasites and other things - I understand that any live feeders can potentially have that problem as well, BUT many are much less susceptible to it, as well as easier to keep, cleaner to keep, and overall better in my opinion.

Superworms are extremely easy to keep. They just are simple. I feel as if they have gotten a bad reputation or stigma for being super fatty - but their full content breakdown is really not that bad. I believethay yes, they are at 16% fat ... but their moisture content, protein content, and calcium content are excellent. My dragon loves them, and over the many years I have switched between supers and roaches as staples.

Roaches are just absolutely excellent feeders - and something for you to think about for your dragon. They rank high in all areas, and to me, so easy to keep as well.
Phoenix Worms and Butterowns are also great and easier feeders to keep with - a fantastic calcium/vitamin/moisture content.

So superworms are often well-loved by dragons, as well as the others listed. If you are ditching the crickets (don’t blame ya ?) .... then surely replacing with supers as well as a mix up of the others, sounds good.

And - to answer your other question - it’s securely not too much to do a few supers a day plus salad. And in place of the supers sometime, take a looks at the others I listed too ?

She is a full on adult now at 3 .... so if she a little protein each day, then good for her. My girl is 8 right now. She doesn’t eat as much as she used to - but she still has a THICK tail base, nice fat pads on her head, a muscular (and chubby ?) body’s frame. She’s on pretty much the exact new diet you are switching over too. I think it will be just fine and she will be a happy dragon to boot.

Have you had any thoughts on alternating here and there randomly with with butters, pheonix and roaches?

Hope to hear back from you
- Emily ?

sara06

Original Poster
blue11":16ffrdm4 said:
sara06":16ffrdm4 said:
Hello!

hello!

First off, wanted to say I think it’s good you are dabbling around with different feeders for your dragon. Variety is the spice of .... beardie life!

So your girl is 3 years old? Congrats!

I think you can definitely change over from crickets to supers - thru my experiences, I have always had icky and weird times with crickets - and they are quite the dirty feeders - with the possibility of carrying parasites and other things - I understand that any live feeders can potentially have that problem as well, BUT many are much less susceptible to it, as well as easier to keep, cleaner to keep, and overall better in my opinion.

Superworms are extremely easy to keep. They just are simple. I feel as if they have gotten a bad reputation or stigma for being super fatty - but their full content breakdown is really not that bad. I believethay yes, they are at 16% fat ... but their moisture content, protein content, and calcium content are excellent. My dragon loves them, and over the many years I have switched between supers and roaches as staples.

Roaches are just absolutely excellent feeders - and something for you to think about for your dragon. They rank high in all areas, and to me, so easy to keep as well.
Phoenix Worms and Butterowns are also great and easier feeders to keep with - a fantastic calcium/vitamin/moisture content.

So superworms are often well-loved by dragons, as well as the others listed. If you are ditching the crickets (don’t blame ya ?) .... then surely replacing with supers as well as a mix up of the others, sounds good.

And - to answer your other question - it’s securely not too much to do a few supers a day plus salad. And in place of the supers sometime, take a looks at the others I listed too ?

She is a full on adult now at 3 .... so if she a little protein each day, then good for her. My girl is 8 right now. She doesn’t eat as much as she used to - but she still has a THICK tail base, nice fat pads on her head, a muscular (and chubby ?) body’s frame. She’s on pretty much the exact new diet you are switching over too. I think it will be just fine and she will be a happy dragon to boot.

Have you had any thoughts on alternating here and there randomly with with butters, pheonix and roaches?

Hope to hear back from you
- Emily ?

Hey!

That's super informative, thanks so much for your help!! Crickets are just too stinky and end up hopping everywhere :lol: . I'll definitely make the switch then and I do have a small roach colony as well so maybe a 3 worms and 2 roaches a day? Something like that haha!
I was just a bit worried that my Chibi wouldn't get the correct vitamins and the like, but I have her on dragon food pellets as well which have lots of fiber so I think it should work well :study:
Your beardie sounds so cute!! I'm glad she's doing well :D

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with Emily, superworms are not bad at all for the most part but used in rotation with other feeders. :) Lots of veggies is always a good thing with collards, kale, turnip, mustard and dandelion making up the bulk of the greens. Squash, green beans and a few other veggies will make it a well rounded diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom