supplementing D3 while using phoenix/calci-worms/bsfl

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayrogue89

I've been feeding Taliesin black soldier fly larva from Syntom. He loves them and I love how convenient they are. That being said the bsfl from Syntom have a higher calcium:phosphorus ratio (don't have the table with me but I know it's higher than 1:1). Because of that I'm afraid to dust them with calcium because he shouldn't really need any more calcium.

That being said how can I make sure he's getting enough D3 without risking hypercalcification? I have a t10 tube light in his tank but I dont think that will be enough based on what I've read. Any thoughts?

I heard that you don't need to dust them. I just started feeding Edward phoenix worms, because he will no longer eat crickets and he loves them. I feed phoenix worms as staple with veg/greens and also butter and wax worms on rotation a few times per week.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't bother dusting the BSFL but you can if you want to. The D3 is synthesized by getting adequate UVB so as long as that is at the right distance and a relatively new bulb that should be fine. A T5 10.0 (with reflector) should be about 12-14'' away from the basking area and a T8 10.0 bulb (with reflector) should be about 6-8'' away from the basking area. The T5 will produce UVB levels closer to natural sunlight and is more likely to allow natural D3 synthesis than the T8 is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom