BABY BEARDIE WONT EAT!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duhitzzmakayla

So I recently just got a new baby dragon he is about 5 inches.i got him Thursday and it's now Sunday. I tried hand feeding even though I know the controversy against it and I put non dusted and dusted cricket/mealworms. To see which he preferred and he just isnt eating well. Once in a while he will eat a mealworms but only if I wiggle them in front of his face and put it down.My parents said if he doesn't eat anything tomorrow we are taking him to the vet.Any suggestions??

Sidenote: I dont know if the baby beardie is a boy/girl I have to wait till he is at least 7 in.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, at 5" he's barely 1-3 weks old, slightly older if he's just stunted from not eating much. Mealworms can cause impaction in babies so offer very small crickets [ no bigger than 1/4" or the space between the baby's eyes ]

Can you post pics of your set up and some close ups of the baby ? Some pet store babies get off to a bad start but with good help can recover, others never recover, especially a tiny one if it's impacted. They may not have the strength to pass the quantity of food , esp. if it's a hard insect like a mealworm. Try dripping some water on his snout for a drink.

Here's how to post pics :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them
Please list the exact type + brand of lights you have as well, be specific because lighting is one of the most important pieces of equipment for keeping beardies healthy.

Duhitzzmakayla

Original Poster
He started to eat about 2 days ago I think it just took him longer to settle due to my loud siblings. However he has been eating and using the bathroom regularly thanks for your help though :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Duhitzzmakayla":sp5l1j8c said:
So I recently just got a new baby dragon he is about 5 inches.i got him Thursday and it's now Sunday. I tried hand feeding even though I know the controversy against it and I put non dusted and dusted cricket/mealworms.

<<< handfeeding is perfectly OK , and it's a great way of ensuring a sick lizard gets food and to bond with it.
here is a link that shows some good ways to handfeed a lizard - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=235583

Cut right back on the mealworms (ok a couple as a bribe or treats (pick the just molted white worms - they are have a softer exoskeleton , the pupae are good as treats too).

Your best options for feeder insects for a very young hatchling like yours are

>> white soft bodied very wriggly BSFL

>> blowfly gents

>> housefly gents

>> small (10mm) silkworms ( like this maybe )

20jul2017_9mm_long_silkworms.png

My 5 and 6 week old hatchlings (7g to 15g) were started off on 20day old crickets and 15mm -20mm long silkworms.

>> 15 to 20 day old crickets or equivalent sized locusts or roaches ( so long as the insect is no longer than the space between his eyes , bigger can cause impaction and nerve damage when swallowed).
smaller_crickets_sizes.png

the smallest crickets shown are PinHeads, the gents at the bottom are blowfly and housefly gents (both excellent feeders for a small hatchling , and quite high in protein and Ca, the flies are great treats too , my hatchlings go nuts leaping into the air to catch them as they fly by and crawl up the sides of their rearing tubs.

Regarding using crickets, roaches, and locusts, please dust all very lightly with calcium powder, and gut load them for at least 1 day using high calcium leafy greens (will increase the nutrition in the eaten insects) and only drop a few insects into the tank/tub at a time, this way the hatchling will not be overwhelmed / confused by lots of fast moving insects hopping and crawling all over the place and it can keep track of all the feeders and has a better chance of catching all of them and eating them

Regarding gents, maggots, pupae and silkworms , all are slow moving and can be leaf in a suitable feeding dish (needs to be escape proof for maggots/gents/lavae as they are little hoodinees !!!) ,the hatchling will eat these quite happily at it's own leisure , so count the worms/maggot/gents/lavae in and after so you will know how many have been eaten.

Refer to this to help select best quality (lowest fat , highest protein, highest Ca/P feeders
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=234999&p=1807834#p1807834

To see which he preferred and he just isnt eating well. Once in a while he will eat a mealworms but only if I wiggle them in front of his face and put it down.My parents said if he doesn't eat anything tomorrow we are taking him to the vet.Any suggestions??

Sidenote: I dont know if the baby beardie is a boy/girl I have to wait till he is at least 7 in.

Please invest in a flat glass topped kitchen scale and start weighing him weekly and chart his growth.

The chances are their are issues with tank / lighting set up and this may be the route cause of the hatchling's lack of interest in eating.
Please review as thoroughly as you can the lights , the temperatures and show us photos of the setup and lights.
You may find the cause if you work through this flow chart : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236150&p=1815390#p1815390

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom