Dubias VS crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
so I started feeding my 4 month old (12 inches) dubias yesterday, are they more filling than crickets? He used to devour 8-12 crickets, and since I started with dubias he has eaten 3-5. Is this normal? I heard each dubia is equal to a few crickets but wanted to make sure. I feel like he is undereating recently. He is started to get a shed in on his head and body, like not shedding yet, but starting to get grey and dull color from future shedding, could this be a reason too? Or are dubias just a lot more nutritious (filling), than crickets? I feed him 1 or 2 super worms a day, some days I dont, to start getting him accustomed to supers, and he is pooping just fine. Today tho, for some reason he has pooped 4 times, the first time in the bath, then the other times a bit more watery and not solid. Stress pooping from switching to dubias and future shedding? He has never pooped so much before, even when he was younger.

Also another thing I want to point out about the dubias, is that I cant hand feed them to him, I could with crickets, although normally I let him catch them. But he doesnt even chase the dubias, he waits until one passes by and eats it, only like 3-4. And I fed him (a bit forced) one dubia when he was gaping while basking, I just put a dubia in his mouth and he ate it.

One mroe thing, today he had his first 'accident' where he fell off my shoulders, he jumped, and landed a bit hard, didnt get hurt I dont think, since he is acting just fine right now, but for like 5-10 min his beard turned grey (not even black), and the bottom half of his tail darkened. His colors are now back to normal though. He used to take a super worm whenever, anytime, but now I cant seem to feed him even one

cjack99

Hi;

I've been feeding my Beardie (JL) Dubias for about 4 years now. She also gets greens daily. Someplace I read 1 doobi is equivalent to 5 or 6 crickets. JL is cyclic, sometimes she can eat like a hog and other times she's just not that much into it. In general she gets 2 or 3 doobies a day and seems happy. When she gets dormantish she may only eat once a week. She has a "cave" in her cage, and she can retreat in there if she wants. She's about 6 now, so something is working.

On the subject of doobies, my colony is now abut 4 years old, it's been through 3 designs, and the layout I have now seems to work. They are fed shredded carrots, and the wife, bless her heart, gives them peas or banana bits almost every day. Happy doobies make a happy beardie!

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom