Dubias VS crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
so I started feeding my 4 month old (12 inches) dubias yesterday, are they more filling than crickets? He used to devour 8-12 crickets, and since I started with dubias he has eaten 3-5. Is this normal? I heard each dubia is equal to a few crickets but wanted to make sure. I feel like he is undereating recently. He is started to get a shed in on his head and body, like not shedding yet, but starting to get grey and dull color from future shedding, could this be a reason too? Or are dubias just a lot more nutritious (filling), than crickets? I feed him 1 or 2 super worms a day, some days I dont, to start getting him accustomed to supers, and he is pooping just fine. Today tho, for some reason he has pooped 4 times, the first time in the bath, then the other times a bit more watery and not solid. Stress pooping from switching to dubias and future shedding? He has never pooped so much before, even when he was younger.

Also another thing I want to point out about the dubias, is that I cant hand feed them to him, I could with crickets, although normally I let him catch them. But he doesnt even chase the dubias, he waits until one passes by and eats it, only like 3-4. And I fed him (a bit forced) one dubia when he was gaping while basking, I just put a dubia in his mouth and he ate it.

One mroe thing, today he had his first 'accident' where he fell off my shoulders, he jumped, and landed a bit hard, didnt get hurt I dont think, since he is acting just fine right now, but for like 5-10 min his beard turned grey (not even black), and the bottom half of his tail darkened. His colors are now back to normal though. He used to take a super worm whenever, anytime, but now I cant seem to feed him even one

cjack99

Hi;

I've been feeding my Beardie (JL) Dubias for about 4 years now. She also gets greens daily. Someplace I read 1 doobi is equivalent to 5 or 6 crickets. JL is cyclic, sometimes she can eat like a hog and other times she's just not that much into it. In general she gets 2 or 3 doobies a day and seems happy. When she gets dormantish she may only eat once a week. She has a "cave" in her cage, and she can retreat in there if she wants. She's about 6 now, so something is working.

On the subject of doobies, my colony is now abut 4 years old, it's been through 3 designs, and the layout I have now seems to work. They are fed shredded carrots, and the wife, bless her heart, gives them peas or banana bits almost every day. Happy doobies make a happy beardie!

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom