Oh no, my beardie ate ants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beccablue

It’s springtime in New England and there are SO MANY ANTS. I took my juvenile beardie, Pico out today to run around my room, and in the process she discovered two ants and ate them! I’ve heard that ants are bad insects for beardies and am a bit worried. Because there’s so many ants we do have poison ant traps downstairs, but none in my room. I noticed that a few ants have been carrying around small pieces of collard greens which means they must also be in Picos tank at times. Should I be worried? Pico devours any small moving thing in her sight she might have eaten more ants than the two!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ants themselves shouldn't cause a problem and are likely a natural part of their diet. The concern is with the traps. If they pass on the poison from the traps it could be problematic.

Beccablue

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. Ok, good to know the ants aren’t a problem. But is there a pet friendly way to get rid of the ants, instead of using the traps?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Usually what I do when they get in the house is mop the floors and then spray vinegar around the edges of doors and windows. They leave scent trails so they can return to a site that has food so the combination of cleaning any food sources and then interrupting their trails by spraying the vinegar seems to do a pretty good job in my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom