Beardie constantly eats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that eventually by receiving all the knowledge by everybody on this board I will be able to help others.

For now, I’m just full of questions about my Lizzy.

We feed our 3 y/o beardie dubias every other day. In addition, she gets salads twice a day. Large salads. I feel lucky that she’s a beardie that eats veggies and we have no trouble with that. The question is, can she eat too much? She will basically eat a salad or any veggie I put in front of her at any time. She will eat and eat and eat. She seems to LOVE salads. Particularly mustard greens. I limit her carrots because of Vit A. She loves bell peppers and green beans. Is this okay?

I’d also like to know if beardies can eat too much because i feel like my beardie can eat alot too. She will eat about two salads a day, she also seems to like bell pepper and cucumber, and strawberries (but i dont give those to her every day. I give her 10-20 meal worms but she could definitley eat more (switching to dubias very soon just need to order them).

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Beardies will stop eating when full. They won't let themselves starve either. They know how much they need to eat and when to stop.

twocatsandadog

Original Poster
Hi Destiny1998,

Yes, while I definitely think this is true of animals (and people) in general and know Lizzy does this with her dubias as she will only eat about 6-10 at a time and then just stares at me as if to say, “seriously, you expect me to eat any more?”... it feels different with salad and that is more where my question was aimed at.

And with what I know about dieting myself, they always say you can eat as many vegetables yourself as these are “empty calories” even though they are still healthy and have certain vitamins that are good for you.

She will be stuffed full of dubias (as I explained above where she just stops eating them) and then still eat a whole salad. Do they see salads as some kind of treat? Does she just really like salad? Maybe she’s bored...

I have always fed her 2 salads a day and just recently I started putting one in her viv at night as an experiment and when I wake up in the morning, she’s eaten it, which is crazy since she’s always dead to the world while she sleeps at night.

A little background... she never had salad her first 3 years and only crickets every once in a while when her owners could make it to Petco. She was raised on those red crunchy protein pellets that somehow sustained her for 3 years.

full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom