Am I feeding enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
My beardie, Leonardo, is 8 months and 14 inches. I feed him 4-5 crickets every morning and a salad in the evening. I usually give him yellow squash, collard greens, green beans, or mustard greens. I give him fruits occasionally. There is a heat lamp and UVB light in the tank and during the winter there is a heat pad also. There are 2 sticks, a log, a hammock, a water dish, and a food dish in his tank. It is 40 gallons.
His poop is somewhat runny.

Am I feeding enough? Is the poop okay?

thanks in advance!

BeardieLover1011
1 Bearded Dragon :lol

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
4-5 bugs a meal for any bearded dragon is underfeeding... especially at his age.
He should be at least eating 40 bugs a day. Three meals a day basically right now, two being insects and one being a salad.

Heres a feeding guide that should help. Also, do not the "10-20 bugs a feeding" is a minimum. You can also do how many he'll eat in a 10-15 minute time frame.
All life stages eat 10-20 bugs a feeding.
1-4 months 3x a day.
4-12 months 2x a day.
12-20 months once a day.
20+ months twice a week at the least, every other day at the most.

Staple feeders - Crickets, locusts, grasshoppers, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, dubia roaches, turkish roaches, possibly earthworms.

Treat feeders - Waxworms, hornworms, superworms, mealworms, butterworms.
Wax worms - once a week, 4-5 max.
Hornworms - every other day to every two days, 4-6 max.
Mealworms - every other day to every two days, 5-10 max. Only for beardies above 6 months.
Superworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max. Only for beardies above 12 months.
Butterworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max.

Daily greens- Turnip/collard/mustard greens, endive, and kale if added to a mixture of the other staple greens mentioned.
Fruit once or twice a week - Banana, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries.
For more food items -
http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-diet.php
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

You want two supplements at the very least, a calcium and a multivitamin.

Generally, beardies below two years need calcium 5x a week and multivitamins 2x a week.

However, beardies above two years or at two years of age need calcium only 2-4x a week with multivitamins 1-2x a week.
This depends on how your adult beardie is with diet, health, just laid eggs, is laying eggs, etc.

Also, make sure you get at least a 75 gallon enclosure or a 4x2x2 in a few months as that 40 gallon will be too small once he reaches 12 months of age. The preferred minimum is 75 gallons or 120 gallons. 120 being 4x2x2, and 75 being 48x18x20 or so.

BeardieLover1011

Original Poster
Thank you. I will start feeding more.
I always give Leonardo a giant salad in the afternoon, and it always includes at least 2 of the staples you just said. I was also wondering if 14 inches was the regular size of an 8 month beardie and if he will grow much more.

BeardieLover1011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom