Bearded Dragon won't eat veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MollyMoo98

My Bearded Dragon Molly (Don't know the length, He is 11yrs and looks healthy) is refusing to eat his veggies at all. For the longest, while he was my sisters and stayed in her room and was underfed but recently she moved out and I've been trying to get him properly fed again. He gets Superworms well and enjoys them and likes crickets as well. I've been feeding him Crickets (25-30) once a month and Superworms (8-10) every other day as I read that was okay feeding schedule for meat. Does anyone have any advice on how to get him to eat his veggies?

I have been trying

Lettuce ( Romane, Red and green leaf lettuce)
Carrots
Cucumber

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It can take them a while to get used to a healthy diet if they haven't been provided with one. I would cut back on the supers since he is probably just waiting for them and refusing salad. Try to mix up what you offer and rotate based on what's fresh at the store. I like to offer salads with 2-3 items from this list http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html I've had good luck cutting squash into small worm shapes and offering them by hand. That's probably worth a try. Collard greens, chopped green beans, and strawberry tops are favorites of my guy. They all have different preferences though so it's a matter of trying out a bunch of things and see how he responds. If he's a healthy weight I'd hold off on the bugs for a while and just offer salads to try and get him interested.

Terra213

My little guy is a picky eater so I get your struggle. Try some dandelion greens. Before I introduced those he had no real interest in any vegetation. Now it feels like thats his form of chocolate, all I have to do is put it in front of him and they're gone. Its also the one thing I can guarantee he'll eat from his dish, because someone is spoiled and prefers to be hand fed. Also sweet smelling fruits can help intice them. Kiwi and melon, although a little hard to feed on their own, seem to be pretty popular and I know others have luck where if they mush that up with other fruits and veggies they'll go to town

chifeo

I have a new 4 month old who was fed only crickets. I'm trying to introduce vegetables and fruits, but he just won't go for it. I don't feel comfortable holding back the food he does eat because I don't want to starve the little guy, he barely has any meat on him as it is!
What other tricks are there besides holding back what he does eat?

Also, I am a firm believer of "You are what you eat" so I am looking for a breeder for crickets and mealworms. I'd like to buy from a person/place who takes the nutrition of the feeders as important as the nutrition to all animals eating them. Any suggestions?

Terra213

My guy was that way when I first got him. Have you been trying to feed him fruits and veggies before or after you give him insects? My guy was super fussy until I found a type of greens he liked, then he started branching out a little more so that may be a good place to start.
Also are you giving your crickets a good diet? Although it won't fix the veggie issue, he'll at least get a little more out of them if they've been feeding on something nutrient rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom