Silkworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Are canned silkworms just as good as live ones? I cant get live ones here where I live in MN-- I was wondering if canned would be good--

Karrie

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Unfortunately canned anything is not good. Can you get Phoenix worms? Those are good feeders.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CANNED silkworms are a waste of money ... tried them once ... none of my pet skinks (eastern bluetongues and eastern water skinks) or beardies would touch them, even tried cutting them ... nothing, tried force feeding the BTS and CBDs pieces --- skink eye and immediate spit outs.

Took the uneaten canned silkworms outside and offered them to wild (perpetually hungry BTS and water skinks) .... noses were turned up, even they refused to them , the ants enjoyed them though.

My suggestion is order in a few hundred silkworm eggs and hatch your own, in a month or 6 weeks they will be big enough to feed to your hatchling.
Buying them as eggs is a lot cheaper than buying the same number worms by a very long shot.

Track down a mulberry tree first - they are quite common in parks, in older suburbs, and on farms and should be green and leafy in most parts of the USA now . Some people sell fresh plucked mulberry leaves by the shopping bag full for a next to nothing ( I get 200 leaves for $10 , I pay more the express post then the actual leaves .... is worth it )
If you can't source a big mulberry tree (black, red or white , all OK) , silkworm chow is available from most mail order insect suppliers in powdered form , this once cooked in boiling water and after being nuked in the microwave is fine (but a pricey ).
I harvest my own silkworm eggs and have been raising silkworms in batches every month or so for a a few now , I have silkworms on hand for my pet bluetongues and beardies year round , only expense for me is buying the leaves.
200 leaves will last me up to 2 months (in the crisper in loosely wrapped big ziplock bag).
My eggs have been kept viable in the fridge door for up to 3 yrs .... I have more eggs than I'll need as I always have some worms form cocoons and I usually get 20 - 30 months from each batch of eggs I've hatched , each female moth lays up to 400 eggs. You do the sums .... lots of eggs on paper towels in bottles.

This is how i farm silkworms.viewtopic.php?f=76&t=222193

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom