Not eating, sleeping a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Since taking my baby to the vet she hasn’t been the same. She is about 6 months old, 17.25 inches and 339 grams. Usually she eats like a demon and now it’s a struggle to get her to eat 3-4 roaches a day when she was eating 40-50 per day. Her temps are all good, she pooped, but still doesn’t show interest in food. She has been very lazy and sleeps almost the entire day. Tonight I got her to eat 2 horn worms and 3 roaches, no greens (which she usually does eat daily). The only change is the vet gave her a de wormer for high pin worm count. This has been going on since Thursday. Getting a bit worried so any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you. I just placed the order. I hope it comes in soon. She still isn’t eating her bugs very well. She only ate her greens today and hasn’t moved from her spot on the rock since this afternoon. At this point I’m afraid to give the second dose I’m supposed to give her .17 ml of Albon tomorrow. Would I be a horrible mom if I don’t give it to her?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In my opinion I would stop using Albon to treat pinworms. That is a very harsh medication and I don't like to use it at all. There are meds available that are easier on their systems, especially for pinworms (Panacur/Fenbendazole). In a lot of cases if the count isn't super high then vets opt not to treat pinworms as they are often manageable in a healthy dragon and don't cause issues.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for your response. I won’t give her the second dose. She is so not herself. She doesn’t even want to come out like she usually does. I got her to eat 3 Dubai’s, and 2 small super worms (first time giving her the super worms but was hoping something different would help spark her interest in eating) and she ate some collard greens and chard. Before the vet she was eating 2 bowls of greens and about 40-50 Dubia (and looking for more) every day.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would try offering her as much water as she will take (in small batches at a time spread out across the day). The extra hydration will help flush her kidneys and protect them from damage from the meds.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have never seen her drink. Not in her baths, not when I mist the inside of her tank, and not even when I put drops of water on her nose. I guess she’s just not a drinker. So I have always given her her salads with lots of water on it. Do you think that should be ok still or should I try and somehow get her to take more water?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No don't force it. If she isn't licking the water when you drip it on her nose then she probably has enough from food which is fine. You might want to keep offering it but don't worry if she refuses.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok the Probiotics surprised me and came in today! I gave her half the dropper. Should I give her more tomorrow also? She ate a bit more than she has this past week. 2 superworms and about 10 Dubia (this was before the medicine came in) I hope this helps.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She Decided today she is only eating super worms and a salad. I gave her another dose of the fruity stuff I bought from bugs de lite that you recommend and when I checked her temps her basking spot was at 115. Thinking maybe now that winter seems to be over I might need to go from 150 watts to maybe 75. And cool side was at about 90 so maybe more shade for her. Being a Beardie Mommy is worrisome work! But so worth it when she snuggles in my neck.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Usually half of the dropper a day is plenty. You don't need to offer a ton of it but it's good that she likes it. I'd keep offering it for a couple of weeks.

Lighting can get tricky as the seasons change and adjustments should be made. I like keeping my fixtures on adjustable stands so I can raise/lower the lights to make adjustments. If you have a fixed top on the tank then it might be easier to use a dimmer to cut a little power. You can also try some different bulb wattages as you mentioned. Just need to keep tweaking it until the temps are back into a good range.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just want to say THANK YOU very much CooperDragon for all of your help and advise these past 3 months. I truly believe without you and the others on this forum I wouldn’t have Biggie Smalls still. It has been an eye opening experience so far that I would not trade for anything! From my PetSmart, been tricked into buying this thing now what do I do.....to becoming a little friend who would rather be on my shoulder and hand fed little princess. I would never have thought in a million years. So Miss Biggs (formerly Mr. Biggie Smalls) sends you a great big Beardie kiss to thank you for most likely saving her life.
97320-331495442.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My pleasure. I've been there and understand. These little guys are special for sure. That's a great photo of her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom