Eats Veggies and Fruit, no Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake354

Hey there everyone! My name's Drake and I'm new here and to owning a Beardie.

So I am currently having a concern; Lotan is eating his Dubias, Crickets, Juvenile Buffet Blend, Squash, and Blueberries with no difficulty. However, in the last week I have been having trouble getting him to eat greens of any kind; Mustard, Collard, and Turnip are what I have available to me where I live. I was wondering if this is too much of a concern, as he is only 5 months old (15 inches already though!). I know that at the younger age their diet should be primarily insects and little vegetables, but I used to get him to eat several pieces of greens each day before giving him his 12-15 insects and handful of pellets/calcium gut-loaded crickets that he eats on throughout the day.

His stool is normal and he is going the same amount as he has been, with his enclosure being a 36x18x18 habitat, with the cool side of his enclosure maintaining 75-80°F and the hot side being 90-100°F. His substrate is sand, which he was moved to 2 weeks ago, but since he is not impacted, I figured this is not a concern; he is careful not to eat sand going for his live feeders since he doesn't charge full-throttle.

Please let me know if there's any advice to the feeding issue, or if I am just over-worrying! :lol:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't worry too much, especially at that age. They tend to go through phases and moods that have them preferring one set of food over another sometimes and it changes. Just keep offering and let him take what he wants.

Do be careful using sand since it's difficult to keep clean and sanitary vs a solid substrate.

Drake354

Original Poster
Alright! I'll make sure to keep an eye out for that; I usually scoop out his waste shortly after he is gone, but I will make sure to watch out for it. And thanks for letting me know that I am just being an over-worrying parent haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom