How much veggies to feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anhlyss

I am currently still feeding my rescued 10 year-old beardie by hand, as he does not eat unless fed this way. Once it is summer, and I have more time to spend with him, I will try once again to get him to eat on his own.

In the meantime, I am wondering how much "salad" I should give him every day. Some days he eats very little, and other days, he eats everything in his bowl, and keeps opening his mouth for more. I don't want to over feed him, but I also want to make sure he is getting enough.

He was very skinny when I got him in January (due to his not eating), and he is currently in the middle of a shed due to his having gained weight.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If he is responding well to hand feeding, I would keep that up. Offer as much salad as he wants and provide as much variety as you can to ensure he's getting a healthy diet. It's OK that his appetite fluctuates. That is normal. On days he doesn't eat all of his salad don't worry about it. On days he does, offer more until he has had enough. I usually offer a bowl that fits about two handfuls of salad but that can vary quite a bit so go off of what your dragon is doing.

Anhlyss

Original Poster
I have been giving him a full dish of salad daily, which I think works out to about 1/4 - 1/2 cup. About 3/4 of that is greens, the rest is whatever fruit or veggies I have available from those allowed.

I work in a School Library, so he is with me during the week. I feed him twice a day while at "work", as I don't have as much time to spend feeding him. On the weekends, I usually just feed him once.

He was getting some type of insect and Dragon pellets every day, but now I have cut that down to every second day, so that he will eat more veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom