one black soldier fly escaped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
So one of the BSFL turned into a fly over night and escaped before i could do anything about it. As i'm in a condo unit should i worry?

Can one BSF cause an infestation? I would be responsible for all expenses if it spread to other units.

Please advise, my kitchen is not horrendous but i live by myself so it's not the cleanest either.

Thanks in advance

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I wouldn't worry too much, I had a few escape in my bedroom before and they died a few weeks later... in fact I even tried breeding them once, every single one died and never laid a single thing. However this may depend on where you live.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank goodness. That's the only reason I've been sticking with BSFL as my staple. They're not quite pests as far as I've read on the Wikipedia. Plus Kohaku likes them.

Thank you for putting my mind at ease. I live in northern KY in a condominium unit to answer your other question. That's why I wanted to check here.

SkyfangRauss

Hatchling Member
black soldiers require something similar to a compost heap to reproduce. a few escapees aren't an issue. the flies dont have mouths, so cant bite, and their lifespan is very short.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yeah i found the one that escaped dead yesterday. Then I knocked the whole container off the railing of my deck area down to the driveways beneath when i was releasing the ten adult forms that i found in the cup which freaked me out. Went downstairs afterward and actually played squash the bugs even though i knew they weren't pests just because it's not my driveway to ensure they didn't cause problems for the neighbor that owns that driveway.

I am a klutz.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I often have this happen .... I tend to give the BSFs to my water skink , she loves them but sometimes I have lots of flies hatching and I can't catch them all when I take the lid of the tub I keep them in.

They don't bite, and wont be attracted to your food, will just head for the nearest window and hang out there until they die of old age or get caught by a spider or me or my wife.
If your neighbor has a compost heap, this will benefit from your accidental release of BSF.

Aside : I have had a similar thing happen when I experimented with Blue / green blow fly lavae , they pupated pretty fast and I would up with dozens of blue/green blow flies buzzing about inside the house , but my hatchling beardies loved the blowflies and were actually hunting them and leaping to catch the one which here crawling about on the sides of their rearing tubs.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
They don't bite , and don't seem interested in "blowing" human food.

Will head for the nearest bright light or window , perhaps even the dragon's viv where if it get's in, it will make a nice snack for your beardie.

I hand feed the flies to my eastern water skink , she loves them. The flies like blowflies and house flies , are great treats for a hatchling bearded dragon. If your tank has an essentially open lid, just pull their wings off and drop the dewinged flies in the tank , they are not very fast crawlers , so easy caught by a young dragon (or skink).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom