Feeding enough/not enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie is a little under 12 inches and I want to make sure I’m feeding him enough. From what we were told when we got him about 2 weeks ago, he should be about 5-6 months old. He gets greens every morning, sometimes mixed with fruit or other veggies. He he eats about 20 small D. Roaches every day accompanied with superworms and other treats. He is always grumpy right before he eats and would probably continue to eat much more. I’ve been told to let him eat until he stops, only let him eat for 15 minutes or just to feed him a set amount. His climate in his tank is perfect and hes easy to handle early in the morning and later after hes eaten.

Otoole0701

Original Poster
98628-7856327467.jpg
98628-4046925837.jpg

I posted pictures as well so you could see, disregard the temp gauge in the back. We have a much better temperature gun and humidity gauge we use that we use to monitor him.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I can go into detail more about everything, however I'm a tad busy trying to get a very annoying reptile to eat mice so I'll just post this for now.

Feeding guide,
All life stages eat 10-20 bugs a feeding.
1-4 months 3x a day.
4-12 months 2x a day.
12-20 months once a day.
20+ months twice a week at the least, every other day at the most.

Staple feeders - Crickets, locusts, grasshoppers, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, dubia roaches, turkish roaches, possibly earthworms.

Treat feeders - Waxworms, hornworms, superworms, mealworms, butterworms.
Wax worms - once a week, 4-5 max.
Hornworms - every other day to every two days, 4-6 max.
Mealworms - every other day to every two days, 5-10 max. Only for beardies above 6 months.
Superworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max. Only for beardies above 12 months.
Butterworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max.

Daily greens- Turnip/collard/mustard greens, endive, and kale if added to a mixture of the other staple greens mentioned.
Fruit once or twice a week - Banana, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries.
For more food items -
http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

You want two supplements at the very least, a calcium and a multivitamin.

Generally beardies below two years need calcium 5x a week and multivitamins 2x a week.

However beardies above two years or at two years of age need calcium only 2-4x a week with
multivitamins 1-2x a week.
This depends on how your adult beardie is with diet, health, just laid eggs, is laying eggs, etc.

And then a care sheet that goes over the basics.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18PfjxbgD95KLcfRCqGAVz-ViuMPuP4AvgGBSZzPKRgc/edit?usp=sharing

Otoole0701

Original Poster
Thank you!!! So there are some small adjustments we’ll have to make, we weren’t giving him feeders in the morning, but that’s an easy fix. And the multivitamin is an easy fix too. I really appreciate the reply. We just want him to be happy and healthy. Any advice helps!

Otoole0701

Original Poster
Does he/she not want to eat that much or you weren’t feeding them that much? Could be a bathroom issue, ours didn’t eat a lot for a few days, but after a warm bath he pooped and I think it was the stress from a new home. He’s fine now and eats so much.

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
I've had him almost 4 weeks, he has pooped 3 times, about once a week once he started. The first poop he was holding back on. He eats about 2 to 3 super worms about twice a week. He has had about 4 blueberries.

I offer greens everyday with raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries. I give fresh the next day.

I give him baths about every other day and offer water daily.

The old owner has not offered any insight. I sent her a message a couple of days ago, and she just replied that "he is picky, like me". No insight what so ever.

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
I would try something besides supers. They are not very nutrient rich.

Gimli has never refused to eat any insect I put in front of him,. and i think he would each much more than I am giving him if i let him. He is growing like crazy ,and I don't want him to get too heavy as i have heard weight is hard to take off them. He eats close to 60 dubia a day between the 2 feeds, plus a plate of greens with other veg mixed in every day.

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Every morning I wake up and give him greens, raspberries, blueberries, some baby sprout arugula, and when I get home, it is all wilted. I offer him water after work and give him a bath about every other day, get him out of his terrarium and play with him. He has yet to eat a green.

Yesterday I blended some up and tried to drop some on his nose with a syringe. I didn't get far as the end of the dropper broke as it is glass. Very bad on my part. I didn't realize. I will be picking up a plastic one after work today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom