calcium&vitamin w/ or w/o d3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakai

hi guys, sry i know this is a very frequently asked question but im still unclear and rather confused abt this particular topic. I have to ask, is it safe if both the calcium and vitamin i used contains d3 since i read that too much d3 can be toxic? The calcium i was using was Repashy supercal HyD and the vitamin brand is zoomed's Reptivite with d3. Do i need to get a calcium w/o d3?
Also, i read that you should dust with calcium 6x times a week and vitamin once. But I ran out of calcium and my friend got me a repashy calcium plus HyD, which writes "calcium and vitamin supplement". How should i dust now? Or should I get another separate one?

Here are some things i thought i should let you guys know abt. I do not have access to a good UVB light. It's unfortunate but i do not have reptisun 10 since i live in Malaysia. I actually did managed to get it once(and it was super costly), but it didnt work. The moment i flipped the switch, it went out immediately :( Dad says the voltage thingy we run on is probably different, so i'm only using exoterra reptile uvb150. Im aware that coiled bulb is bad but it's the only one i could get. I do however let my beardies out in the sun for an hour almost everyday.

Having said all that, here's a summary(kinda) of my questions:
1) Do i need to get a calcium w/o d3? since both the supplements(vitamin &calcium) i have already contains d3. Not to mention not having a very good UVB light source.
2) How often should i dust if im using the repashy calcium plus HyD? or should i just get a separate calcium supplement?

Sorry for the long questions. :? Thx for bearing with me :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The UVB150 (26w version) is similar to a T8 tube so it should sit between about 6-8'' from the basking area to be most effective.

Since it's relatively low output UVB I would use a calcium with D3. If your vitamin supplement has D3 in it as well I don't think that would cause an issue. Just offer a light even coating on bugs to make sure he's not getting too much. If you have access to Repashy products, you might want to try and find Repashy Calcium Plus. That's an all-in-one so you could just dust the bugs with that at every meal.

It's great that you are able to provide time outside for natural sunlight. It's excellent for them.

Sakai

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1z7qzljv said:
The UVB150 (26w version) is similar to a T8 tube so it should sit between about 6-8'' from the basking area to be most effective.

Since it's relatively low output UVB I would use a calcium with D3. If your vitamin supplement has D3 in it as well I don't think that would cause an issue. Just offer a light even coating on bugs to make sure he's not getting too much. If you have access to Repashy products, you might want to try and find Repashy Calcium Plus. That's an all-in-one so you could just dust the bugs with that at every meal.

It's great that you are able to provide time outside for natural sunlight. It's excellent for them.

I see, thx a lot! By getting the Repashy calcium plus, I already have one but it's HyD. Is it the same as the one you are referring to? Sry but i just had to make sure.

And I guess i might as well go ahead and be direct about the reason that started the topic. I noticed one of my beardie has been shaking(just the head) a bit. I was told that it could be an early sign of MBD but i dust whenever i feed him crickets or roaches, that is every alternating days. As for the greens(bok choy, mustard greens, or kailan), i feed everyday and sometimes i add a bit of calcium powder too since at that time i really thought it to be MBD. Ive been irresponsible not having done more research that theres a possibility of overdosing so, if anything at all, I'd say I have been foolishly overdosing :( i know its real uncommon but it still happens right? My other 2 beardies dosen't seem to have this problem though. Any advice I can get?

Thx for the help. Much appreciated! :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I VERY STRONGLY ADVISE swapping the 26W UVB150 to a 26W UVB200 right away.

The UVB150 is only rated at 5% UVB , whereas the UVB200 is twice as strong.

See this for more information : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611
a 26W UVB200 mounted in an ExoTerra NanoHood (tube on it's side) is quite effective at 8 inches from the basking spot, the beam is broad so will cover an area of about 50cm x 80cm no problem in this configuration , much better than in a dome reflector (tube in vertical mode) which will be lucky to cover an area with a diameter of about 12 inches.

Give serious consideration investing in an Arcadia T5HO 12% UVB tube and a suitable reflector hood , these are effective at 12 inches from the basking spot.

I concur, with the comments about vitD3 fortified calcium , BUT the dragon is better off getting copious exposure to very high levels of UVB flux ( greater than 180 microW UVB / sq.cm ) for up 15 to 16 hours per day , and getting colloidal calcium given orally (or liquid calcium) daily and being given the opportunity to create their own vitD3 in their skin.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I missed the fact that you have the calcium plus hyd. That is the same all in one but with more vitamin D. It is suitable for the current low UVB conditions but when you upgrade your UVB to a higher output (I suggest prioritizing this) then he will start being able to synthesize his own vitamin D so a plain calcium or the regular repashy calcium plus would be more suitable.

Sakai

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":p8ahgwj9 said:
I VERY STRONGLY ADVISE swapping the 26W UVB150 to a 26W UVB200 right away.

The UVB150 is only rated at 5% UVB , whereas the UVB200 is twice as strong.

See this for more information : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611
a 26W UVB200 mounted in an ExoTerra NanoHood (tube on it's side) is quite effective at 8 inches from the basking spot, the beam is broad so will cover an area of about 50cm x 80cm no problem in this configuration , much better than in a dome reflector (tube in vertical mode) which will be lucky to cover an area with a diameter of about 12 inches.

Give serious consideration investing in an Arcadia T5HO 12% UVB tube and a suitable reflector hood , these are effective at 12 inches from the basking spot.

I concur, with the comments about vitD3 fortified calcium , BUT the dragon is better off getting copious exposure to very high levels of UVB flux ( greater than 180 microW UVB / sq.cm ) for up 15 to 16 hours per day , and getting colloidal calcium given orally (or liquid calcium) daily and being given the opportunity to create their own vitD3 in their skin.

Alright, will try to see if i can get a Arcadia T5HO 12% UVB tube but for now ill get a 26W UVB200 right away. I assume ya mean a tube one and ill try to look for it since the only uvb tube lights i saw in the store are reptiglos which i read does more harm than good. And im nt sure whats a ExoTerra NanoHood. I googled it up but it showed me mostly pics of vivarium? Sry im such a dumb dumb :oops:
Thx for being patient with me! :)

Sakai

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3h217cf8 said:
I missed the fact that you have the calcium plus hyd. That is the same all in one but with more vitamin D. It is suitable for the current low UVB conditions but when you upgrade your UVB to a higher output (I suggest prioritizing this) then he will start being able to synthesize his own vitamin D so a plain calcium or the regular repashy calcium plus would be more suitable.

Alright ill do that, thx a lot :) I always get crappy advice frm ppl ard me and when i read abt them on forums, its all so different so i get really confused :?

Also, sorry but can i ask how do i know if the shaking isnt caused by overdosing? Is there a guideline to know if Ive been overdosing on d3? Ive been reading abt it recently and saw that overdosing on d3 might be one of the reason for shaking. Thanks again!

Sakai

Original Poster
92108-742562246.jpg

Heres a pic of my tank and setup btw. Jz wanna knw if da UVB 200 would hurt his eyes at this distance. ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's a possibility. I think a blood test may help reveal that if it's an overdose of D3 or calcium. The UVB200 should be OK as long as it's directly overhead. I wouldn't put it closer than 6'' away for safety but it shouldn't be further than 8'' as it's effectiveness will decrease beyond that range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom