dehydrated minnow treats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wicket15

Hey all!

I bought my cat a bag of dehydrated minnow treats but she didn't end up liking them. I don't just want to throw the bag out, especially given how many are in there. Could I feed these to my beardie as an occasional treat?

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

I Would advise against it because it could be a chocking hazard and could have some dangerous spices on it. I Would just return the cat treats to the pet store or were ever you got them from.

-HippieLizards.

wicket15

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply! There are no added flavorings to it, just plain ol' dehydrated minnows. He's fully grown and eats freeze-dried crickets all the time, and these are smaller, so I think he'd be fine as far as choking hazards go. I mostly just needed to know if there would be any weird fishy toxins or anything that beardies can't have in them, haha.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Freeze dried crickets as a staple?
Those dont provide any hydration or really much nutrients that a beardie can healthily live on so I'd recommend quickly going out and getting proper food for your beardie or ordering online for food.

Black soldier fly larvae make great staples, so if you dont want roaches or live crickets those would be fine.

Also I'd not feed the dehydrated minnow treats, I dont know the exact nutrition values in them but I'm sure its not suitable lizard food.

wicket15

Original Poster
I think I need to clarify, haha.

I'm not planning on feeding these as a staple, nor do I feed the crickets as a staple. The freeze-dried crickets are used for occasional treats. That's also what I'd like to use the minnows for. To be honest, I don't care about their nutritional input because I'm not using them for nutrition. Only as treats.

I fed reptiworms when he was younger, but now he's fed salad and roaches or superworms. He's three, and I've been visiting this site on and off since about a year before I got him. I'm super paranoid about my pets' health, but his diet is one of the things I'm confident in. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
wicket15":714sgqft said:
I think I need to clarify, haha.

I'm not planning on feeding these as a staple, nor do I feed the crickets as a staple. The freeze-dried crickets are used for occasional treats. That's also what I'd like to use the minnows for. To be honest, I don't care about their nutritional input because I'm not using them for nutrition. Only as treats.

I fed reptiworms when he was younger, but now he's fed salad and roaches or superworms. He's three, and I've been visiting this site on and off since about a year before I got him. I'm super paranoid about my pets' health, but his diet is one of the things I'm confident in. :)

Freeze dried insects of any kind are not suitable to use give to dragon at any time.

wicket15

Original Poster
I'm afraid I have to disagree with that, but thank you everyone for your input. I think every animal is allowed to have a treat now and again, and I think freeze-dried bugs are fine as long as you're not using them as a substitute for real insects/nutrition.

I was really only wanting to know if there was anything in a minnow's makeup that was toxic to beardies, but it looks like I'll probably have to do my research elsewhere.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
it's dehydrated and meant for cats, not lizards which to me is an immediate no. Another thing is beardies don't exactly eat fish and its a bit hard to digest, so thats another no for it.
And the fact its dehydrated doesn't mean its going to be easy at all to digest so you potentially risk digestive issues and impaction...

So overall do not feed your beardie cat treats, especially something they can't digest properly.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
wicket15":65x2bjbw said:
I'm afraid I have to disagree with that, but thank you everyone for your input. I think every animal is allowed to have a treat now and again, and I think freeze-dried bugs are fine as long as you're not using them as a substitute for real insects/nutrition.

I was really only wanting to know if there was anything in a minnow's makeup that was toxic to beardies, but it looks like I'll probably have to do my research elsewhere.

Yep , ignore the advise of EXPERIENCED bearded dragon keepers because it's not what you want to hear.

wicket15

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":1axhb1hd said:
it's dehydrated and meant for cats, not lizards which to me is an immediate no. Another thing is beardies don't exactly eat fish and its a bit hard to digest, so thats another no for it.
And the fact its dehydrated doesn't mean its going to be easy at all to digest so you potentially risk digestive issues and impaction...

So overall do not feed your beardie cat treats, especially something they can't digest properly.

Thank you for another reply! The bag wasn't meant for cats specifically, that was just my original main aim for them. My dogs really enjoy them too for a little crunch! They're just small and not much of a treat since my dogs are bigger, haha. I did think about the fact that they aren't per se a natural choice for beardies, but I was still curious. People feed pinkies to their beardies, and it seems like they usually do fine if it's not often, but something so big is way out of my comfort. So I just figured something tiny like a minnow would maybe be okay on occasion? Again, I wouldn't be planning on feeding him a lot, just every now and again. :)

kingofnobbys":1axhb1hd said:
Yep , ignore the advise of EXPERIENCED bearded dragon keepers because it's not what you want to hear.

Please don't be rude. I wasn't receiving an answer to the question I'd come for, so that's the only reason I was frustrated. You have no clue if I'm experienced or not. Even if I weren't, I've had my own guy long enough to be comfortable in my decisions with his diet. I do still firmly believe a freeze-dried cricket every once in a while isn't harmful--but I'm not trying to tell you that you also need to believe this. I was just wanting to know if there were any toxic elements to minnows.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
wicket15":1dgo78wz said:
VenusAndSaturn":1dgo78wz said:

Thank you for another reply! The bag wasn't meant for cats specifically, that was just my original main aim for them. My dogs really enjoy them too for a little crunch! They're just small and not much of a treat since my dogs are bigger, haha. I did think about the fact that they aren't per se a natural choice for beardies, but I was still curious. People feed pinkies to their beardies, and it seems like they usually do fine if it's not often, but something so big is way out of my comfort. So I just figured something tiny like a minnow would maybe be okay on occasion? Again, I wouldn't be planning on feeding him a lot, just every now and again. :)

<<<< Pinkies are NOT suitable to give a bearded dragon either. (Way too hard to digest, high risk of choking , causing a very bad GIT blockage / impaction, and way to fattening, full of bacteria and viruses ) and not part of their natural diet in wild, sorry but mice were not part of the native fauna in Australia until they were introduced along with cats, rats, foxes, rabbits, cows, horses, sheep , goats, chickens in early 1800s when the colony was established in NSW, and they are not common in the natural range of bearded dragons - too arid and barren for mice.
kingofnobbys":1dgo78wz said:

Please don't be rude. I wasn't receiving an answer to the question I'd come for, so that's the only reason I was frustrated. You have no clue if I'm experienced or not. Even if I weren't, I've had my own guy long enough to be comfortable in my decisions with his diet. I do still firmly believe a freeze-dried cricket every once in a while isn't harmful--but I'm not trying to tell you that you also need to believe this. I was just wanting to know if there were any toxic elements to minnows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom