Hungry Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,
My beardie loves to eat! Right now he is on the medium dubia roaches that I get from http://abdragons.com/
These are the size I order for him: http://abdragons.com/dubia-roaches-medium-3-8-to-3-4-in-a-cup/
I feel like these are a bit on the small size since he inhales them. Was wondering if I should try to increase the size or keep them the same size just feed more for him. What do you guys think?

92311-9259792752.jpg
He is pretty content after eating anywhere from 20 to 25 dubias :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think it comes down to how well he can chew them up. If he is able to easily chew them into smaller pieces, larger ones shouldn't be a problem. I think that comes down to budget more than anything though. If 20 of them at a time doesn't break the bank and he's content then it's fine to keep doing that.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks cooper! He chews them up with no problem. He gets so excited at times that he eats two of the medium roaches lol but I’ll stay with these for a bit since the budget allows.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
Wow, he’s beautiful. I think the size depends on the individual beardie. I have one beardie that approaches eating with the mentality that if she takes time to chew some invisible force will yank the food out of her mouth, and therefore time is of the essence. So while I’m a little more careful with her, most of my beardies have always been very good about thoroughly chewing whatever insect they’re presented with. So as long as the dubias we’re talking about aren’t gargantuan, going a little bigger should be fine. My nonchewer/bug vaccum gets slightly smaller insects, but my other guys have done really well with the larger dubias. Because they have such a high meat ratio, sometimes going a size larger and feeding fewer can be more economical.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
PodunkKhaleesi":3plqcp8w said:
Wow, he’s beautiful. I think the size depends on the individual beardie. I have one beardie that approaches eating with the mentality that if she takes time to chew some invisible force will yank the food out of her mouth, and therefore time is of the essence. So while I’m a little more careful with her, most of my beardies have always been very good about thoroughly chewing whatever insect they’re presented with. So as long as the dubias we’re talking about aren’t gargantuan, going a little bigger should be fine. My nonchewer/bug vaccum gets slightly smaller insects, but my other guys have done really well with the larger dubias. Because they have such a high meat ratio, sometimes going a size larger and feeding fewer can be more economical.

Thank you. I've decided to just up more in quantity since he's able to chew them up really well and no problems. I am pretty sure he can eat the slightly bigger ones but sometimes going bigger feeders isn't always best, I will wait til he's like fully grown plus by then he should be not eating a lot of protein anyhow :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom