New Baby Beardie not feeding consistently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rdeitro

So i picked up my new baby beardie on this previous Saturday. The first day i got him to eat about 7 crickets appropriate for his size. second day he would only eat 4 all day. third day about 4. but today he wont eat at all. Every other day he would usually eat a piece of collard green from my hand as well but he wont do that either. I know the babies can get stressed out from being in a new enclosure but its worrying me. He has some stress marks off and on but ive also heard thats pretty normal.

As far as enclosure, He's in a 40 gallon breeder with lots of sticks that i baked and rocks i washed, as well as two hides one on each side of the tank. Basking spot is at 105-110, and the rest of the cage is 85-90ish. I use an MVB for the basking and a ceramic heat emitter to keep idles up. At night the cage drops to about 70 maybe a few degrees lower. Substrate is ceramic tile.

I gave him a soak on the 3rd day i had him and he definitely drank from the water and doesnt seem dried out. He's been having regular poops that look healthy and are solid with the urate attached. Aside from the eating he seems healthy and fine, am i just overthinking and maybe he's just a little stressed from relocating and not wanting to eat?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like it could just be him getting used to his new home as you mentioned. Your cool side is a bit high but if he isn't using that size it's probably not a big deal since your basking temps are good. Which Mercury Vapor bulb do you have? How far is it from the basking site? Those are all a bit different and need to be set based on UVB output.

How has he reacted to the baths? They aren't worth it if he shows signs of stress/panic but are OK if he likes them. You can also offer water by dripping it on his nose to lick up.

Have you tried offering him different food? You might try some black soldier fly larvae or small silk worms and see if he goes for them. Maybe some small dubia roaches would be more to his liking. Sometimes it take a bit of trial to see what their preferences are. It's good to offer variety when you can either way though.

Rdeitro

Original Poster
Bit of an update! Little rumham is doing great! I switched to dubia roaches after the first week and he immediately started eating 15-25 a day. Bit of trial and error in the actual feeding process as well. Originally i was putting him and the crickets/roaches in a small Tupperware container because of how quick the crickets could get away, but i've found hes much more open to eating the roaches if i just hold a small container full of them in front of him so he can kinda half climb in but not actually be trapped in the container like i was before! Anyway i'd highly suggest dubias to anyone here with a baby that doesn't seem to be taking to crickets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom