New Baby Beardie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrantking7777

I just got my Mordecai from petsmart yesterday, ik this is bad but my parents refused to buy from anywhere else. Anyways, they told me 5 crickets a day for a what they told me to be 2 month old beardie was alright. Yesterday, I fed him 3 crickets, two mealworms(live), and a piece if cilantro. I don't know how much I should feed him as he slows down after eating like 2. Any help would be nice. Also off topic from this forum, he doesn't really move from his basking spot much.

Hi there! Congrats on your new beardie :)

Unfortunately a lot of pet stores don't know very much about bearded dragons and feeding, I would recommend 20-40 crickets per feeding as bearded dragons do eat a lot more than 5 a day. As many as he can/wants to eat in about 10 minutes is ideal. My lil 3 month old eats a whopping 50-80 crickets a day (2-3 feedings)

Good job getting some leafy things into him!

Definitely make sure you get the right UV lighting for him, as pet store bulbs can be VERY dangerous. A reptisun 10.0 T5 tube light is a good and relatively inexpensive Option :D
And Red and purple lights are not good for beardies either as they can see those wavelengths of light.

I'm not sure what your setup is but the forum here is a great place to find out how to set that up correctly! I'll just make some key points here

Make sure you have a big enough tank for the temperature gradient he needs (90-100 basking, 80-85 cool end)

No dangerous loose substrates like calcisand or crushed walnuts, good ol paper towels are great, or if you're spending, repticarpet.

Tyrantking7777

Original Poster
Nosouledginger":1fk32lp8 said:
Hi there! Congrats on your new beardie :)

Unfortunately a lot of pet stores don't know very much about bearded dragons and feeding, I would recommend 20-40 crickets per feeding as bearded dragons do eat a lot more than 5 a day. As many as he can/wants to eat in about 10 minutes is ideal. My lil 3 month old eats a whopping 50-80 crickets a day (2-3 feedings)

Good job getting some leafy things into him!

Definitely make sure you get the right UV lighting for him, as pet store bulbs can be VERY dangerous. A reptisun 10.0 T5 tube light is a good and relatively inexpensive Option :D
And Red and purple lights are not good for beardies either as they can see those wavelengths of light.

I'm not sure what your setup is but the forum here is a great place to find out how to set that up correctly! I'll just make some key points here

Make sure you have a big enough tank for the temperature gradient he needs (90-100 basking, 80-85 cool end)

No dangerous loose substrates like calcisand or crushed walnuts, good ol paper towels are great, or if you're spending, repticarpet.
I have the zoo Med 40 gallon starter kit but I'm using newspaper as a substrate. I am using the bulbs that come with that. Thank you for the help!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Those kits usually come with a coil/compact uv b which do not provide the proper amount of uvb. You definitely need a better uvb. A reptisun 10.0 5. Also just to let you know the thermometers that come with the kit are not accurate. A digital with a wide probe or temp gun is what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom