Need new staple! (I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrChenMan

So I need something new. I’m done with crickets so I switched to supers as a staple but it seems that they aren’t the best staple for my beardie Winter due to fat content. I’m not sure how correct this is but it makes sense so I feel that I should change it up. I also live in Canada, and dubia roaches are a no go due to laws and stuff. Turkish roaches are also a no go because apparently they make noises and are tricky to catch and escape and I experienced this with crickets and I just don’t want to deal with that anymore.
So if anyone has any other options, I am willing to try anything.

Thank you:)

P.S if possible it would be great for someone to maybe link a website for ordering the feeder you recommend.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Why'd you quit crickets? There are a few options including discoid Roaches, Phoenix/reptiworms, and silkworms to name a few. I'll link them down below.

Silkworms
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/Live-Silkworms-NOW-AVAILABLE-c22/

http://www.mulberryfarms.com/Silkworm-Eggs-c23/

(If you're willing to hatch the eggs yourself and buy the food and whatnot, you'll get more for your money)

Discoid Roaches aren't found very easily right now

Phoenix worms can make a definite staple and I believe repti worms can as well, for sure Phoenix worms and possibly repti worms. Just don't go with unbranded BSFL or calciworms without comparing their nutritional value to Phoenix worms, calci worms can't be used as a staple since they have a bit more calcium then is recommended. NOTE : Not all dragons like Phoenix worms so they may end up not being an option for you.

Phoenix worms

http://abdragons.com/phoenix-worm/

Repti worms

http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/feeders/reptiworms-for-sale.html

Sorry if these links aren't of use in Canada.

MrChenMan

Original Poster
KeyBlu422":380xmpz8 said:
Why'd you quit crickets?

They sorta smell, they make noise, and they were escaping.
There are ways to avoid these problems but for now I would like to try something else.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
MrChenMan":18f0rbp0 said:
KeyBlu422":18f0rbp0 said:
Why'd you quit crickets?

They sorta smell, they make noise, and they were escaping.
There are ways to avoid these problems but for now I would like to try something else.

Ah, exactly what I thought. Well, if the links above can be used, then there you have a few options to choose from. If you decide that you might want to return to crickets in time, here are some instructions.

Storage and Setup

First off, if you're using a cricket keeper, you're somewhat setup for failure. I used a small one in the past and, while they didn't escape, they did die frequently. Instead, grab an 18 gal plastic storage container(like from Sterilite), cut out some of the lid and possibly some of the sides of the container and cover it with ALUMINUM fine mesh, it can be found for 7-10 bucks at most hardware stores here in the U.S., I cant imagine it's too different in Canada. Grab some toilet paper/paper towel tubes, egg cartons, or egg flats. Stack the egg flats upwards at an angle so that poop falls to the bottom and away from the food and water crystals. If using tubes, either throw em out or dump the poop to the side like you would with the egg flats.

Feeding

Providing a high quality dry diet such as Cricket Crack is good, some online sellers sell some quality diets too. You can also make your own, I can link a few complex ones if you want to make it yourself or you can just grab premade stuff. For the wet portion of the feeding(which I'd suggest, while dry diets are usually fine, veggies are a nice addition every now and then or given each time with the dry diet), you can take some ingredients and blend them up, you can make a complex one or a simple one. Put it into an ice tray, freeze it, and it'll last a few months. Spirulina and Bee Pollen are some natural multivitamins but I don't think they're completely necessary. A simple gutload I will be making will include dandelion greens, carrots, oats, apple, national geographic omnivorous reptile pellets, and some herptivite multivitamin.

Back to the wet portion, you can just give the same veggies as what you feed your dragon as an alternate method.

Water crystals are good for hydration and people have used them for quite a while with nearly no issue. However, there is something in water crystals that have caused issues in rodents and possibly humans so some avoid them, it's really just your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom