New baby beardie not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crcantrell

Hey im a new bearded dragpn owner. I got a bearded dragon on sunday and he was born last monday...so about a week and a half old now.

So he didn't eat the first day I had him and he didn't eat anything until Monday night when he ate 8 dubia roaches (all lengths smaller than space between his eyes) however, on Tuesday he only ate two roaches in the morning and two in the afternoon. And today he hasn't eaten anything again and I've tried feeding him 3 times. I'm not sure if it's because he's insecure around me but whenever I'm trying to feed him he just stares at me instead of eating. I feed him in a separate container because I don't wants him to get impacted as I have sand as a substrate which I plan on changing this weekend to tile.

A little of his viv stats:
Ambient hot side temp: 98 degrees.
Basking temp: 110 - 105 depending what branch he's on.
Cool side temp: 80 degrees.
60 watt heating bulb used.
10.0 UVB bulb used.
Night light only used sunday night until I learned not to.
Night time temps about 72-75 .
All temps were checked with digital probe.
Sprayed with water 1-2 times a day but haven't bathed him yet.
He's in a 20 Gal. Tank

I think it's worth mentioning I tried feeding crickets at first but had no interest but the first time I tried feeding dubias to him he ate a ton so I thought he may like those more, however he stopped eating again today. If you have any idea what could be causing this can you please help because I really don't want him to starve.

Thank you in advance, and sorry for the long post

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. He is awfully young. I'm surprised he was sold at such a young age. The stress of moving could very well be affecting him so I would be very gentile with him and give him some space to settle and adjust. Keep offering food a couple of times a day but I wouldn't handle him much if at all for a week or two. Which 10.0 bulb are you using for UVB? How far is it above the basking branches? Your temps are just right but I want to make sure you are giving him proper UVB exposure.

Crcantrell

Original Poster
It's the same height as his basking lamp and the closest he can get is probably about 4 inches but he normally isn't that close to it. And the UVB is a coil bulb I think

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The coil isn't the best option due to it's limited beam width/spread. I would get a T5 5.0 bulb for the 20g and then you can use the same fixture and upgrade to a T5 10.0 bulb when you get a bigger tank. That will provide a decent amount of UVB at around 6''. This one comes with the 5.0 bulb so you'd just need a replacement upgrade bulb when you move to a larger tank in a few months https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26053-Reptisun-Terrarium/dp/B00AQU8F2O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom