veggie prep

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyfangRauss

Hatchling Member
so what parts of various veggies are ok for beardies to eat?

looking for how to prepare the various gourds and peppers that i can feed him, but im not sure which parts of them to give him

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I usually cut the center and white bits out of bell peppers (those go to the roaches) and feed the green/orange/yellow/red part chopped up into small pieces. I chop the ends off of green beans and those go to the roaches, then the centers get chopped into small pieces and onto a salad. I cut squash into small worm shapes. With summer squashes I just feed the skin along with the rest because it's soft. With the harder shelled squash I usually offer the center, chopped into worm shapes, and the edges go to the roaches. For the greens, I usually cut the center stems out and those go to the roaches. The leaves I put into a ziploc bag with a fold of paper towel and store them in the frdige where they keep for several weeks.

Here's an example of how I cut up summer squash (yellow and green zucchini)
76248-9983280538.jpg

SkyfangRauss

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
so ditch the seeds and seed chambers of the bell peppers, and the gourds get the center unless the rind is soft, got it

can beardies eat stuff like ghost peppers and jalapenos, or should i just stick to bells?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't offer them hot peppers. As much as I love them myself they are bound to cause issues for animals with no benefit for them. The bell peppers are nutrient rich and good to offer, but they aren't a favorite of my dragon. He'll eat a few pieces here and there but his favorite by a mile is squash. They all have their preferences though so try some different options and see what sticks.

SkyfangRauss

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
just a little update:

turns out, Agni doesn't like yellow squash, or yellow, green, or orange bell peppers.

he'll eat a bit of red bell pepper, but only 2 or 3 pieces.

however, he's been vacuuming up his kale, which is a recent addition to his collard, mustard, turnip rotation. eats far more of the kale than the other three.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good to know. Might be worth revisiting them in a few months and see if he changes his mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom