Superworm size? Feeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,
Does anyone know these super worm size? I have been giving some to my beardie since he's 18". I am waiting for his dubias to come in the mail so in the meantime feeding these as well as greens/salads. Though lately, he has been extremely picky. Just wanted to know if there's specific protocol for feeding the supers? Hopefully, this isn't too big for him. The pet store said it should be fine. I also gave him as many as he wanted in 10 to 15 minutes, he loves food so hopefully, he won't become impacted.

92311-6673800330.jpg

Thanks!

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Given his size, I think it's just fine. However, at his age I don't think the 10-15 minute rule is to good for late juveniles/adults. Typically, people don't give more than a little more than a handful. This is because, while they can be used as a staple for adult dragons(though it is still best to use in conjunction with something like crickets), they contain a large portion of fat, aside from their not so great calcium to phosphorus ratio(though dusting eliminates that problem). So give him maybe 6 rather than how many in the 10-15 minute rule, one of those supers probably has the meat of one or 2 crickets but a bit more fat. He's probably spoiled since supers are known to be loved by dragons so much that they'll go on a feeding strike sometimes until you give them the supers. You're gonna need to wean him off of them if he still refuses after getting his other protein source and doesn't eat his salad. Thankfully, my beardy has never gone on a feeding strike. He may not become impacted but since you likely gave him a ton, wait for him to poop. Adults can go up to nearly two weeks I believe without pooping and digesting so many supers does put a slight strain on their digestive system since supers are hard as well. If he doesn't poop after a long period of time, consider giving him a warm bath and something like pumpkin purée or unsweetened applesauce to get him to defecate.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you. Will keep that in mind next time feeding him the supers :D He has been going to the bathroom, keeping a close eye on him. He usually has his dubias but since he is out of them, holding him over with greens/salads/ a bit of supers til they come. Should be here tomorrow, then once they arrive back to eating 10-15 mins time period :D Plus a little variety in food doesn't hurt, although, he did splurge on the supers so now I'm spacing them out, a few here and few there :)

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Reptilelady":38zy9o3a said:
Thank you. Will keep that in mind next time feeding him the supers :D He has been going to the bathroom, keeping a close eye on him. He usually has his dubias but since he is out of them, holding him over with greens/salads/ a bit of supers til they come. Should be here tomorrow, then once they arrive back to eating 10-15 mins time period :D Plus a little variety in food doesn't hurt, although, he did splurge on the supers so now I'm spacing them out, a few here and few there :)

Yes, variety is certainly a nice addition to a beardy's diet. Usually dragons can pass supers but I'm sure there are some that can't so it's probably good to start out with monitoring for defecation. SInce your dragon did then all is fine and nothing to worry about.

How old is your dragon? He sounds like an adult. In that case, I don't think the 10-15 minute rule is so good for adult dragons. If you take a second to think about it, you're following the same feeding rule used to feed young dragons who need a lot more protein than adults since they are developing. But hey, since I'm no expert, I might see if some of the "experts"(such as CoopersDragon or Drache613) may weigh in with their opinion or pull up some forums/sites.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I got him on May 18th from petsmart so not exactly sure as to his exact age. He went into brumation/ slow down phase around on October. So he’s been chowing down so much as soon as he came out of the brumation/ sleepy stage. He has been going regularly and eating all his greens plus insects. His weight before going into brumation was around 350g now he is 374g. So I know he doesn’t have any problems just really hungry ? I called a few vets and said that’s fine since he’s still juvenile- sub- adult stage. Once they get to 18 months it’s considered basically an adult which I know he isn’t there yet. If anything he’s probably 10 months old.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Reptilelady":195n88mh said:
I got him on May 18th from petsmart so not exactly sure as to his exact age. He went into brumation/ slow down phase around on October. So he’s been chowing down so much as soon as he came out of the brumation/ sleepy stage. He has been going regularly and eating all his greens plus insects. His weight before going into brumation was around 350g now he is 374g. So I know he doesn’t have any problems just really hungry ? I called a few vets and said that’s fine since he’s still juvenile- sub- adult stage. Once they get to 18 months it’s considered basically an adult which I know he isn’t there yet. If anything he’s probably 10 months old.

Yeah, never mind then. It makes sense why you're doing what you're doing. He's not quite an adult and I'm sure the advice from many vets trumps anything most forum members such as myself.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Believe me, these are not his staples just a quick meal in a pinch of time til his dubias arrive but he does eat his greens I’ll see him basking and then look down into his bowl walk over and pick at it eats here and there then walks back to bask, then repeats. Around 1 or 2 pm (hottest part of the day) he goes under log for shade then comes back out again around 4 to eat then after couple hours of basking he will find a spot to sleep about 30 mins before his lights go off. Been pretty consistent. I’m just glad he is eating his salad / greens after he has had the supers. As an adult, it does say to feed as a treat so definitely keep in mind when he reaches adulthood ?

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Reptilelady":1e1f136c said:
Believe me, these are not his staples just a quick meal in a pinch of time til his dubias arrive but he does eat his greens I’ll see him basking and then look down into his bowl walk over and pick at it eats here and there then walks back to bask, then repeats. Around 1 or 2 pm (hottest part of the day) he goes under log for shade then comes back out again around 4 to eat then after couple hours of basking he will find a spot to sleep about 30 mins before his lights go off. Been pretty consistent. I’m just glad he is eating his salad / greens after he has had the supers. As an adult, it does say to feed as a treat so definitely keep in mind when he reaches adulthood ?

One last thing, where did you come up with the user name ReptileLady? Did you just think "I like reptiles and I'm a lady, let's name myself ReptileLady"? Or what's was the thought process behind it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom