I need clarity on D3 supplementation

Status
Not open for further replies.
97687-3863353501.jpg
this is my little fella starry. Ive had him for a week and a half. For one of his daily meals i dust with reptical that has d3 in it. I recently read he didn't need d3 supplementation potentially because of the bulb i have. I have an 18" t5h0 bulb 12ish inches away from his basking spot. Im afraid of him getting too much d3 and causing him probs. Thoughts from the experts are appreciated greatly.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Do you have a screenbbetween the lamp?
If not, you don’t need to use the D3. If so, try to get a bit closer to the basking site, about 10in away.

Overcomer1

Original Poster
97687-1021357133.jpg
No screen between. Here's the current set up. Im a little uncertain because ive read dif things about how far the light should be. Anywhere from 8-13 inches. I dont have a uvb detecter and im not really smart enough to understand the graphs. I want to be confident Starry is getting proper uvb itd be such a relief to not have to second guess the distance and if d3 supplementation is necessary or not.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Overcomer1":2bosgpka said:
97687-1021357133.jpg
No screen between. Here's the current set up. Im a little uncertain because ive read dif things about how far the light should be. Anywhere from 8-13 inches. I dont have a uvb detecter and im not really smart enough to understand the graphs. I want to be confident Starry is getting proper uvb itd be such a relief to not have to second guess the distance and if d3 supplementation is necessary or not.

If it's a 10% UVB T5HO tube and there's a reflector behind it (in the fitting/luminaire) , and it's a new tube (operating properly) then 10 -12 inches from the basking spot is a good distance, aim is 180-200 microW UVB / sq.cm

Just be aware there has been an issue with Reptisun T5HO tubes , they are decaying in UV output very fast , so if it's older than 3 months old and has gold end caps , I'd seriously consider replacing the existing tube with an Arcadia 12% UVB T5HO tube.
The only brand of t5HO UVB tube that's currently trustworthy is Arcadia.

Overcomer1

Original Poster
Thanks..yes it has a reflector and is only about a month old..when i replace it ill go with the arcadia...still unsure about the d3 tho

For people who have the T5, usually you would alternate between using calcium with D3 and the one without D3, so that you don't overdose them on d3. So I usually do 3 days of calcium with D3 and two days with the plain calcium, and then the other 2 days are vitamins only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom