Dubias colony?! Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am getting a beardie. shes gonna be 1 yr and I am only getting one. I want to use dubias instead of crickets as they seem way easier and beneficial to have. My question is... If I get dubias should I get a dubia colony? Will that be too many dubias for one beardie? Please help I am very unsure of what to do. Any feedback help thanks!

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Too many? Haha, no such thing as too many roaches (said nobody ever). But in all seriousness, no, too many should not be a problem. A dubia colony takes a while to get going, unless you purchase an established one (which are quite pricy). You can buy a few hundred mixed ages, throw them into a tub, place it on a heating mat, and wait for about 6 months to get it all up and running, and voila! A never ending supply of roaches. Good luck!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At a year old she won't be eating a ton of bugs so having a large colony won't really be necessary. I have a colony with one adult dragon and they're great for composting kitchen scraps but he can't keep up in terms of eating all of them. Adults get one or two bug meals per week vs a young dragon who would have two bug meals every day. For an adult you would probably be OK with a small colony of maybe 500 or so mixed sizes. I would order hornworms, black solider fly larvae, and silk worms from time to time to provide some variety. The main thing for an adult is to have a variety of veges. They get salad every day so it's important to rotate what you offer (keeping their favorites on frequent rotation) to make sure they get the nutrients they need. This is a good list to reference for ideas about what to offer. I usually offer 2-3 items from here in each salad and rotate based on what is fresh at the store each week http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Here is some more info about caring for a roach colony. https://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roaches.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom