Kohaku FINALLY ATE BSFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Kohaku finally ate some BSFL when i wasn't expecting her to this morning. I had just cleaned the old veg off her tile and decided to try the BSFL again. She ate about 10 of them when I dropped them in front of her in the enclosure.

Thank goodness.

Now i need to get critter carrier and something to put in there to gutload the phoenix worms after i clean the soil off of them.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Yay! It can be really scary/annoying when they decide to be picky, but very relieving when they finally eat!

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thank you. thought I was going to have to donate the BSFL to World of Pets like I did the butter worms.

Unfortunately as they're only room temp I have only two weeks to use them before they start turning.

Hopefully she'll eat them all in that time as I currently have no wine cooler and wouldn't know where I'd be able to fit one.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think they are small no more than medium. They are at least a half inch possibly a bit bigger. didn't measure them.

My little beardie had been on a cricket diet after i got her until bsfl arrived a week after i got her. He didnt take well to them and i waw a little worried because i didnt have any more crickets and didnt want to buy more and continue feeding them.because i want a better staple. Anyway...first couple of days they sat in a dish and he ate 10 or so...theyre really small. I didnt think it was enough to fill so i supplemented with crickets to keep him full. Today however im totally out of crickets and if he was Hungary he was going to ate bsfl. I left 20 in a bowl before work...got home 10 hours later they were gone. So i thought...ok hes probably hungry..im gonna give him bsfl and see what happens...needless to say he ate 110 smalls this afternoon and his tummy is tight...he gained 2 grams of weight from the feeding... dubias are on the way i think theyll be more economical but i was happy to see the bsfl get gobbled down....really small worms...1/8 inch to quarter in mostly

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Kohaku took in 20 today. She probably could have eaten more, but i noticed her slowing down in her interest after the 20th one. so i stopped and put her salad into the enclosure for her to munch on for later.

It's so much more convenient being able to put the salad and BSFL (one by one) on the ceramic tile.

Less mess on the repticarpet too now...

370 BSFL left in the container. I don't get home early enough after my shift to do a second protein feeding (i don't get home til 1030pm and the lights go off at 11pm so not enough basking after the twelve hour lights on) that's why i try to do as much protein as I can in the morning (though on weekends i can double up as i'm off), and always keep a salad in there. Her current salad mix is Endive greens, Belgium Endive, and zucchini. Using the Tupperware and towels technique though i have to cut up the rest of the endive greens by the end of this week to be able to effectively use that method to preserve them for the salad.

Have a great day.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She ate about 15 BSFL this morning (after I'd pulled 30 out before hand so the rest went back into the cup).

The strainer helps and was able to put the soil back into the shipping cup after getting the ones I needed out.

Im glad to hear shes taking to the bsfls. It can be kind of tedious picking several out..and getting them ready to eat. Lookin forward to more updates.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
she ate 18 this morning when I change her water and salad out. I always have to feed by tongs one at a time.

In a perfect world I'd get her a Exoterra Large/Tall or Large/Wide habitat to live in as she always has to have everything changed through the top. I rarely take her out to hold due to my schedule but because I have to come from the top and try to get under her with my hand she is skittish regarding me taking her out of her enclosure. That's why I always made sure to have a decent setup for her in the 40 gallon zilla enclosure that I bought for her initially.

Got a couple reptile coworkers here as well which makes it easy to talk to people.

Will keep posting the updates here.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Kohaku didn't eat the BSFL that i offered her initially. So i put her salad in the enclosure (which i just saw her eating some of) and changed her water at the time.

I still have 20 BSFL separated from the rest in a small plastic tupperware cup with the lid off that's high enough so that they can't climb out. Since i have to take today off from work for auto maintenance i figured i might try to give them to her again later.

94545-1388292271.jpg

took this yesterday after her third day of BSFL.

94545-3737105671.jpg

this picture is one of the older ones

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Since i was off today from work due to the car maintenence i had earlier today i was able to do a evening try to get her to eat her BSFL for the day. It worked she downed 20 of them which i had set aside this morning and also two mealworms as she'd started losing interest in the BSFL for the evening and I wanted to test if she was still hungry.

After watching how long it took her to eat the two i put in there i put everything up for the night. She's currently basking on a piece of driftwood i have in her enclosure.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Been feeding her 20-30 during the morning feedings daily and dusting her salad when I put fresh in after feeding the BSFL to her.

She's definitely getting ready to shed again. Stress lines are still there but that may be a temperature thing, as she always looks bright eyed and healthy. Could be the basking bulb as I'm using a 150W exoterra basking bulb for the basking side.

She still has many BSFL to go before she eats all of the ones in the container though LOL. Only about 200-250 left lol no pressure.

Have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom