Superworms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone just give me a straight answer about Superworms. Are they good to feed beardies as a snack? My Cosmo loves them. I just wanna know if theyre gonna cause impaction

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Superworms are probably one of the most debated topics when it comes to beardie care. As I understand it, superworms are best fed to dragons at least 12" + (preferably more), and as a treat, not an everyday meal. Once beardies are at that length, impaction isn't too much the risk, just their high fat content. If fed with other insects, you should have no problem.

Torivincolato333

Original Poster
Thank you. Ik they're high in fat i bought them for my juvi to fatten her up cause she lost weight and Cosmo got jealous so he gets a couple and Frankie loves them too. Cosmo is an adult. And Frankie is 9 months

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is exactly right, they are highly debated for sure! LOL
Everything in moderation. They are a very good staple, only if other insects are fed, too.
Since they have fat that's why it's best to also give crickets, dubias, or silkworms, etc as
well. They have good protein too.
As suggested, we feel it's easiest on their systems to wait until they are at least 12 inches
but I usually recommend 16 inches to be sure to avoid impaction.

Tracie

Torivincolato333

Original Poster
Cosmos stool has munched up superworms in it so is that fine? Theyre in little pieces. Frankie is passing normal. She is battling MBD and i only got them to fatten her up and gice he some nutrients

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Pick only freshly molted (white) superworms for the 9 month old, the exoskeleton will not have had a chance to harden yet.

I only give supers to my dragons and skinks as treats , maybe 2 or 3 in a sitting , never more than twice a week.

My skinks and dragons do love their superworms .... even more than silkworms .... I think my mob are sick of silkworms as I have to coax them to eat their silkworms now where they used to eat them with gusto.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Torivincolato333":1x9fo8sy said:
Cosmos stool has munched up superworms in it so is that fine? Theyre in little pieces. Frankie is passing normal. She is battling MBD and i only got them to fatten her up and gice he some nutrients

If she has MBD i would suggest trying to feed her some black soldier fly larvae. They are fairly cheap and extremely high in calcium.

Torivincolato333

Original Poster
I dab them in calcium before feeding her them. Also drip water in her mouth with some in it. My vet told me superworms, wax worms or silk worms. But silk worms are hard to find ill look around for the fly larva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom