pinkies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
how often is acceptable to feed pinkies to a beardie? i have heard everything from part of a standard diet to once a year due to fat content...

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Personally I'd only do it maybe once a year or not at all. My two eldest beardies don't even like pinkies so if you get a couple as a very rare treat then it could be a hit or miss if the beardie never had it before.

Also in the wild it would be quite rare for beardies to come across mice and then eat them, especially baby mice so it wouldn't and shouldn't be a part of their average diet.

I know some people think that protein is protein and it's all the same but how animals digest mammal/animal protein and insect protein, and plant protein varies quite a bit.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Not acceptable to give pinkies to dragons at all. Too much fat, OK for pythons, and monitors , not for skinks and dragons.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
what are other treats that would be good for her? her adoptive bday is coming up and i was thinking of getting her a pinky but I'm open to other things as well

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well i got her 15 silk worms and 15 horned worms. she ate all the silk worms in one go and then later that day ate half the horned, she finished the rest of them the next morning so id say she likes them...

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, I say pass on pinkies, better safe than sorry. Superworms are good treats, along with hornworms, butterworms, silkworms, and waxworms.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
they are given to leopard geckos in preparation for mating. (even that is only once a year) but other than that Ive never heard of giving them to dragons. So I'd pass on the pinkies.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Pinkies are pretty much just fat, not much calcium unless you cover every inch of their body in it.

Honestly waxworms and superworms would be much safer and better for a beardie to have to gain weight back.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
this pet shop is a reptile only store, they have dozens of species from full sized monitors to beardies to spiders/snakes/pet 1200.00 show mice (what ever that is....)

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Well that doesn't necessarily mean they are right. According to this site (which members on here trust) http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html , Pinkies are 'questionable' and VERY high in fat. If something is 'questionable', I ain't feeding it to my animal. Want something high in calcium? Try black soldier fly larvae.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom