Beardie has trouble picking up food/won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

kderosa8254

So my beardie is having a few issues. He finished his winter bermination about 3 weeks ago. He didnt eat during this time and did not poop. Since he has been awake and more active he has not eaten and has not pooped. This week I got his new lights things that was the issue which fixed him not being as active. But now when he goes to eat he misses a few times and then gives up(I'm worried it is his eye sight but not sure). Then he won't try for another day or so. I am really worried about him not eating and not pooping.

Other info: He has never been a HUGE eater. Only really likes those red pellets, butternut squash(I cut into small pieces) and kale. Hes 2 and a 1/2.
Lights: Zoomed 100w infared heat for night, Exoterra 26 w reptile UVB 150, Zoomed Repti basking spot lamp 75w

I love him very much and want him to be happy and healthy!!
Thanks

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes they get frustrated like that and give up. They'll get at it more if they are hungry though. Is he having trouble with the squash or bugs? The squash can be a bit slippery and tougher to pick up sometimes. As far as lighting goes, is the ZooMed bulb a red one that gives off visible red light or is it a ceramic bulb that gives off heat but no visible light? You don't want to use a night bulb that produces visible light as that can disrupt sleep and the colored bulbs can make things look odd to them. If the temps in the tank stay above 65 then you don't need either really.

The Repti Basking spot lamp is decent in terms of output and will be fine as long as it's producing adequate temperatures. They tend to hum if they are dimmed though.

The 26w UVB150 is an OK bulb for small enclosures but really doesn't produce much UVB beyond about 8'' (and shouldn't sit closer than 6'' from the basking area). An adult dragon will want a large enclosure so it's probably best to invest in a high quality T5 UVB light like this one http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ That will make things brighter and also produce UVB levels closer to daylight when it sits about 12'' above the basking site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom