Butterworms as staple for baby beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catzo

I got my first beardie almost 2 weeks ago. For the first week or so he wouldn't eat anything, i was trying small crickets, until I tried feeding butterworms. He's eating everyday now, but wont accept anything else. He is eating his greens though. He's just under 3 months old. 
Im wondering if anyone has an opinion on these as a staple. The nutrition info looks alright. They arent as high in protein as crickets obviously but not as fatty as waxworms.

Dubia roaches are illegal in Canada, and I can't find silkworms or phoenix worms. There is a big reptile expo in toronto in 2 weeks so hopefully I can find some phoenix worms there. I can get hormworms but theyre almost $2 a pop and most are too big for him.

Any opinions?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are ok on rotation but I wouldn't offer them as a staple. The Worm Lady carries the black soldier fly larvae I believe. Supercricket.ca may have them as well. I'd rotate them in with crickets and try to offer as much variety as you can. Silks are great but hard to find this time of year. Just keep your eyes out for them and pick some up as you find them available. As he gets older, the hornworms are great too but as you said much too big for a little guy to handle.

Catzo

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2ndxs5mz said:
They are ok on rotation but I wouldn't offer them as a staple. The Worm Lady carries the black soldier fly larvae I believe. Supercricket.ca may have them as well. I'd rotate them in with crickets and try to offer as much variety as you can. Silks are great but hard to find this time of year. Just keep your eyes out for them and pick some up as you find them available. As he gets older, the hornworms are great too but as you said much too big for a little guy to handle.

Supercricket.ca does have them but they want $30 just for shipping so a months supply would be more than $50! Ill check out the worm lady though. Hopefully the expo will have some

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that's pretty nuts. Hopefully the expo will have some and you can find a local source that is easier to manage.

Catzo

Original Poster
CooperDragon":sxtr66ie said:
Yeah that's pretty nuts. Hopefully the expo will have some and you can find a local source that is easier to manage.
Yeah thatd be nice. I contacted a local pet store to see if they can special order phoenix worms in with their next feeder shipment for me and im waiting to hear back from the owner. I have a feeling he's going to charge even more than supercricket though.

Any tips on getting him to eat the crickets? The problem as far as I can tell is that hes pretty skittish and likes to inspect his food for a minute before going in. The crickets move to fast to inspect. Ive tried dizzying them but theyre still too quick.

thewormlady has ridiculous shipping too. she does about $30 for shipping if you live in the GTA. if you live close to bowmanville, go to jackie's critters and things. she has BFSL and does a sale on crickets ($6 for 100 on fridays) etc. very good store to go to. another place i was looking into was https://www.imnatureinsects.com/home they're based out of quebec but shipping is free for over $40 i think and they do only BFSL. i don't like dealing with crickets but my beardie loves them and loves chasing them. i think if you ask a local pet store though like not a big chain one like petsmart or petvalu, they might look into it for you and see how much it is.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The high shipping might be seasonal too. The cold weather requires extra packing and usually expedited shipping so the bugs arrive in good shape. I'd check back when the weather warms and see if it's more reasonable.

As far as crickets go, I've had good luck just dusting them and offering in small batches of a couple few at a time so they're easier to track. Just repeat offering them until they lose interest and collect the remaining bugs.

Catzo

Original Poster
CooperDragon":26juwwcl said:
The high shipping might be seasonal too. The cold weather requires extra packing and usually expedited shipping so the bugs arrive in good shape. I'd check back when the weather warms and see if it's more reasonable.

As far as crickets go, I've had good luck just dusting them and offering in small batches of a couple few at a time so they're easier to track. Just repeat offering them until they lose interest and collect the remaining bugs.

Ya hopefully price goes down. The local pet shop owner said he could order in 100 for $20 but would have no idea when they would get here.
I might try offering crickets in a seperate feeding bin. Might be easier for him to track. Anybody do this?

BCody

I got a batch of very active crickets that my young beard had trouble catching, I put them in the fridge (in a bag of course) for a couple of minutes. It was just long enough to slow them down, not kill them. It worked.

Catzo

Original Poster
BCody":2npulx49 said:
I got a batch of very active crickets that my young beard had trouble catching, I put them in the fridge (in a bag of course) for a couple of minutes. It was just long enough to slow them down, not kill them. It worked.

Genius!

Btw thanks everyone for your replies youve been super helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom