Superworms as staple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darcypogona

So I feed my beardie a variety of vegetables (bok choy, arugula, red bell peppers) and after she eats her veggies I will offer her protein source.

As of now I try and feed her both crickets and superworms but I'm finding that she only eats around 5 or less crickets everyday and is much more eager to eat superworms.

I've only fed her a maximum of 5 superworms in one day and she digests them completely fine, so I was wondering if feeding this as a staple is ok, since she doesn't love the crickets (and neither do I!!)

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Well of course she'll eat more superworms than healthy feeders.
Just put it this way, if you were a young kid and you had to pick between a healthy meal and candy for dinner you would most likely choose the candy correct? Well thats the same thing for beardies, they rather eat fatty "junk food" than healthy foods as it tastes better to them, but isn't really good for them.

Also looking at earlier posts your beardie is quite young. He shouldn't even be eating superworms yet unless you want to risk him only eating superworms and nothing else. Which he will do, beardies have the tendency to only eat what they want which can cause problems down the road like fatty liver disease, not eating veggies, etc.

Preferably superworms should be fed 4-5 max and ONLY ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK to a 12+ month old beardie. This way your somewhat in the clear as they aren't doing too much growing at that age but still growing a bit, but dont need as much protein as before in a sense.

Only time superworms could possibly be used as staples is when the beardie is over 2 years or 20 months of age, as they would only be fed twice a week for insects and eat greens for the majority.
However even then you may be taking a risk with fatty liver disease.

If you dont like crickets then try roaches, black soldier fly larvae, silkworms, grasshoppers, or locusts.

darcypogona

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply! A lot of good information!

I actually live in a place where they don't sell a variety of feeder insects so crickets, superworms and mealworms are the only option for me at this point (I NEVER feed her mealworms though).

I've tried to get into contact with someone who is selling dubias so if all goes well, I may be able to get my hands on some!

Anyways thanks so much for the speedy response!

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
A lot of us have discovered the ease and money saving option of ordering bugs through the mail. The savings really add up when you’ve got a young beardie aka a bug garbage disposal. Example: I live in California and every two weeks I place an order through Rainbow Mealworms for some combination of hornworms, crickets, superworms, red runner roaches, and BSFL. For $25 I receive a variety of feeders that will satiate several beardies for 2-3 weeks. If you’re in the US, there are a lot of great websites for feeder insects (Rainbow Mealworms, Fluker’s, West Coast Roaches, and Symtom BSF are my favorites). If you’re in another country I’m sure there are still some online options for you. If you hate crickets I highly recommend ordering BSFL (no maintenance required and they don’t smell). I give my guys superworms as occasional treats now because they’re the Big Macs of feeder insects and they can inspire maddening pickiness. So if you’ve got a fussy eater on your hands offering superworms is like playing Russian Roulette and you may want to focus on getting your beardie hooked on a healthier insect (my guys love hornworms infinitely more than superworms, which is a huge relief because these are a much more nutritious treat). But I think you’ll love the BSFL if you can get your hands on them. ☺️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom