Help! Found cricket in baby beardie's tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I posted this in health, too, but wasn't sure if it was better here.

I just got my baby beardie on Sunday night, and had been taking any uneaten crickets out of her enclosure before bedtime, but today I found one wandering around from yesterday's dinner! I got it out, but what are the odds that Fluffy was bitten by it? I gave her a bath, but I'm so nervous! Is there anything else I should do to be on the safe side?

I'm officially preferring the dubias at this point. Crickets are WAY too stressful.

Thanks in advance!

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Ah, i use crickets because I've dropped a tub full of crickets before and was scared then, I kept finding crickets around the house for days. If I were to drop a roach bin.... Anyway, back to your question. Crickets tend not to bite unless someone left them in the tank for a while, a day is usually not a problem. I use to leave crickets in the tank all the time, the cricket biting thing has occurred with dragons before but is usually just a precautionary. If you are worried though, check for all the soft areas of the body, crickets can't chew on the scales so they usually go for the eyes, stomach, toes, etc.

Note : baby crickets are even less likely to bite, and, sometimes, at really early stages of a crickets lifespan(pinhead for example), they most often won't cause any harm to your beardy at all.

emily17319

Original Poster
KeyBlu422":3tz71ff7 said:
Ah, i use crickets because I've dropped a tub full of crickets before and was scared then, I kept finding crickets around the house for days. If I were to drop a roach bin.... Anyway, back to your question. Crickets tend not to bite unless someone left them in the tank for a while, a day is usually not a problem. I use to leave crickets in the tank all the time, the cricket biting thing has occurred with dragons before but is usually just a precautionary. If you are worried though, check for all the soft areas of the body, crickets can't chew on the scales so they usually go for the eyes, stomach, toes, etc.

Thank you SO much for responding! She’s only been with me two days, so she’s not thrilled with being handled and I don’t want to stress her out. I’m reassured by the fact that she was sleeping with her belly against the glass, so she wouldn’t have been super vulnerable that way. Ughh, I feel like a new mom again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom