Best insects to feed Baby Bearded Dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bweiser18

So I’ve been feeding my little dragon only crickets(insect wise) and I was wondering what other insects were good. I’ve read about mealworms not being a good choice because of the hard exoskeleton. So I’ve been reading up on silkworms? But anyways. What are you guys feeding your dragons? Expecially for babies

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Just in general staples usually consist of this,
Silkworms, locusts, grasshoppers, crickets of course, dubia roaches, turkish roaches, and BSFL.
All which if fed at a appropriate size can be fed regularly.

And yes that is correct mealworms have a very hard exoskeleton and most beardies have trouble digesting them properly, especially at a young age.

For treat feeders just so you know usually consist of this,
Mealworms, superworms, hornworms, waxworms, and butterworms.
Waxworms and hornworms may be fed to beardies younger than 6 months, depending on the size of the feeder as these two are generally soft bodied.

Mealworms 5-10 max every other day to every two days. For 6+ months.
Superworms 3-4 max once or twice a week. 6+ months.
Butterworms 3-4 max once or twice a week. 6+ months.
Hornworms 4-6 max every other day or every two days.
Waxworms 3-5 max every two days.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
VenusAndSaturn":37gpa8fc said:
Just in general staples usually consist of this,
Silkworms, locusts, grasshoppers, crickets of course, dubia roaches, turkish roaches, and BSFL.
All which if fed at a appropriate size can be fed regularly.

And yes that is correct mealworms have a very hard exoskeleton and most beardies have trouble digesting them properly, especially at a young age.

For treat feeders just so you know usually consist of this,
Mealworms, superworms, hornworms, waxworms, and butterworms.
Waxworms and hornworms may be fed to beardies younger than 6 months, depending on the size of the feeder as these two are generally soft bodied.

Mealworms 5-10 max every other day to every two days. For 6+ months.
Superworms 3-4 max once or twice a week. 6+ months. <<<< don't recommend mealworms or superworms as food for a dragon younger than 12 months old, especially not superworms.
If you must give mealworms - choose the fresh shed white ones who have very soft exoskeletons and no more than 3 - 4 in a session , and no more a twice a week.
Butterworms 3-4 max once or twice a week. 6+ months.
Hornworms 4-6 max every other day or every two days.
Waxworms 3-5 max every two days.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Bweiser18":36grelrp said:
So I’ve been feeding my little dragon only crickets(insect wise) and I was wondering what other insects were good. I’ve read about mealworms not being a good choice because of the hard exoskeleton. So I’ve been reading up on silkworms? But anyways. What are you guys feeding your dragons? Expecially for babies

Silkworms are an excellent feeder insect , very soft, so moving, juicy, VERY NUTRICIOUS don't bite back, and the rule of distance between the eyes doesn't apply.

My hatchlings were eating small (1 inch) silkworms at 6 weeks old.

My gang as hatchlings were on 1/3 size crickets (two feeds per day) and small silkworms (I hatched raised my own from eggs I harvested myself , hatched 200 - 200 per batch , raised on fresh mulberry leaves) - one feed per day with the salad.
They got blowfly gents and pupae mixed with the salad and also got silkworm moths as treats.

I also feed silkworms as a daily staple to my adult beardie and bluetongue skinks along with the greens and crickets.

Bweiser18

Original Poster
Where’s everyone getting these waxworms, butter worms, and silkworms? I don’t see these at the pet store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom